Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Would you shop at this dealer?

There are several dealers in my area that sell lawn care equip. They also sell fert, and have snow removal stuff too. However, a few of these dealers also own landscape maintenance companies. They do maintenance, installations, fert and snow removal. Would you basically shop with your competition? I personally take it as a slap in the face and refuse to buy anything there. Am I the only one who would feel this way?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a local nursery that's tried to crack the lawn service end of things for awhile-last time I saw them it was a team of 1. Equipment dealers? Little different, kinda sticky, it seems. What next? They gonna start selling christmas trees and firewood and .....Be weird to have to buy from them and then have to cut next door to them. But at least you have dealers to choose from, we have one local now.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't

I would not give a penny to another landscape business that is out in the field trying to grow their business in the same market as you. Find somewhere else to buy your mulch, fert, and equipment. All you are doing is giving him another source of income and profit that he is eventually going to reinvest into his landscape branch, then next thing you know you are loosing customers to him because he is low balling the prices because he went out and bought the best of the best with your money he made off selling you materials and equipment. Just my opinion
Old 01-31-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am very loyal to my business contacts. But we ran into the same thing with a fertilizer supplier of ours he now has about 500 fert accounts and still runs a store. And he no longer has us as clientele no way in hell am I supporting my competition.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I refuse to buy anything from him.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I hate when mason yards sell or sub work. I just want to buy my material and have my customers look at product without being poached. Never spend a dime there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess we are different here. The bigger companies for the most part get along. There is one that tries to. Muscle everyone so they kinda sit all alone. But let me ask....why is it a problem? Do you really think the equipment is gonna sustain their ability to lowball lawn.maintenance? Secondly...it is good to have a network in thw business. Could you call a competitor tomorrow and borrow a mower if you suddenly had two or three go down? I can. There is plenty of business out there. Competition is good. And if you are confident in your service...competition wont matter. But friends are good to have when.your day turns to ****. Besides....keep friends close.... keep enemies closer..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

It's not good!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Would you shop at this dealer?

I don't see the big deal with it. I shop at a place that has a landscape company and dealer in front. The guys that run the shop all know my name and are always right there asking what I need and wanting to help when I walk in. I've spent prolly 15 to 20 grand in there in the last few years , and I will continue to as long as they have the customer service like they do.
Stihl FC95
Stihl FS110R FS90R
RedMax 8050
Husqvarna Saw

www.PremierTurfManagement.com
Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I havent heard reasons why it isnt good
Posted via Mobile Device