Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-01-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Go with the deere man! i have a z920 and love the cut!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
I'd get the r series deere and try the flex forks. They ride so rough. That's why I'm selling my z950. I just can't it much longer
Posted via Mobile Device
I have a couple lawns like you describe with your cemetary. How are you going with mower choice for future, are you still using the z950?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
I have a couple lawns like you describe with your cemetary. How are you going with mower choice for future, are you still using the z950?
I know Jim sold his 950 and bought two Exmark standers.

I run a 2012 Z950 and the cut is awesome, but they do ride rough. I am looking into getting the flex forks for mine to smooth out the ride. Actually, if Deere would have got off their cheap arses and offered the suspension seat they just came out with &/or the flex forks as a standard feature on their top of the line machines all along like most other brands did, I would have never consider leaving them, but my next machine will be a Gravely 400 series (unless something drastic comes along to change my mind).
Old 04-09-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I know Jim sold his 950 and bought two Exmark standers.

I run a 2012 Z950 and the cut is awesome, but they do ride rough. I am looking into getting the flex forks for mine to smooth out the ride. Actually, if Deere would have got off their cheap arses and offered the suspension seat they just came out with &/or the flex forks as a standard feature on their top of the line machines all along like most other brands did, I would have never consider leaving them, but my next machine will be a Gravely 400 series (unless something drastic comes along to change my mind).
Hey, cheers for that!

The gravely looks good with that air seat and the rubber isolation mounts. Have you considered the 3100z & if so do you mind if I ask what you thought?

The hard thing here is aus is getting a decent demo of these machines, it took a while for the problems iv had with ZTRs to show up, ideally i need to take a mower out for a day cutting in conditions im used to. Unfortunately over here its no go from a dealer, would need to find a contractor with a mower but I still couldnt get it onto my lawns for a day. So most of my research is from other users experience.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New JD 900 or Ferris 3100

I just bought my first Deere. Went with the 72" 997. Had a scag turf tiger before. Scag was very good except for dealer support. That's why I switched. Deere is the closest and parts availability and service is crucial. Anyways I have only cut with the Deere for 2 days and I am impressed. I got a stripe kit on mine and it does perfection. It is a little rough but so was scag. The diesel sips fuel and power is awesome. I vote to go John Deere
Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Hey, cheers for that!

The gravely looks good with that air seat and the rubber isolation mounts. Have you considered the 3100z & if so do you mind if I ask what you thought?

The hard thing here is aus is getting a decent demo of these machines, it took a while for the problems iv had with ZTRs to show up, ideally i need to take a mower out for a day cutting in conditions im used to. Unfortunately over here its no go from a dealer, would need to find a contractor with a mower but I still couldnt get it onto my lawns for a day. So most of my research is from other users experience.
The day I bought my 950, I was oh so close to buying a Scag TT, but I had been checking into the Ferris 3100 as well. I could have bought either machine for the same money as my 950/MOD. The biggest reason I didn't buy a Ferris, was the two dealers that carry them are both a long way from me, and both require me to drive into, and through non stop heavy city traffic to get to either one. I really like the new Gravely's and because of their customer care, I will probably go that route next time. I have been thinking lately that I should have got the 3100 when I bought mine just for the ride. The 400 series Gravely's hadn't quite come out yet when I was looking last year, so they weren't an option.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a good friend that has a John Deere with a 60 inch deck... I'm gonna see if I can run it a week just to see how I like a Deere... Can't remember which mower it is but I know it's a commercial with a 7 iron
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2013, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
The day I bought my 950, I was oh so close to buying a Scag TT, but I had been checking into the Ferris 3100 as well. I could have bought either machine for the same money as my 950/MOD. The biggest reason I didn't buy a Ferris, was the two dealers that carry them are both a long way from me, and both require me to drive into, and through non stop heavy city traffic to get to either one. I really like the new Gravely's and because of their customer care, I will probably go that route next time. I have been thinking lately that I should have got the 3100 when I bought mine just for the ride. The 400 series Gravely's hadn't quite come out yet when I was looking last year, so they weren't an option.
Shame there isnt a dealer closer for you! But the gravely seems like a good option also. Customer care is very important for sure.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
I have a good friend that has a John Deere with a 60 inch deck... I'm gonna see if I can run it a week just to see how I like a Deere... Can't remember which mower it is but I know it's a commercial with a 7 iron
Posted via Mobile Device
The 900 series made since 2010 are a far cry better than the older 700 series made before that time. They are well made and very good mowers that cut excellently. They just ride rough.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

His is prob a 2008 or 2009 model... But I can get a idea on how the deck cuts... Unless they have improved them?
Posted via Mobile Device