Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-02-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Skid buckets with bolt on teeth bars vs a dedicated tooth bucket

Any pros or cons? I have a straight bucket with bolt on cutting edge and I'm told you can't use a tooth bar. I can buy another bucket with the bolt on tooth bar for 500 on craigslist but i would rather not drag around another bucket.
Are the the teeth as durable on the bars?
Thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Deere bucket with a bolt on cutting edge,and we use a bolt on tooth bar.Teeth are grooved so they slid over the cutting edge,the two bolts hold it to the side of the bucket.Has held up good so far.

So bar fit on my bucket with the bolt on edge.Might need to drill holes in the side of the bucket to bolt bar too it.That might what they meant,by not working?Mine already had them.

Wanted to be able to remove teeth fast in case needed smooth edge.Good for hard digging.Haven't ever taken them off since i have had it.

Might consider a Razor cutting edge.Good luck
Old 02-02-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Any pros or cons? I have a straight bucket with bolt on cutting edge and I'm told you can't use a tooth bar. I can buy another bucket with the bolt on tooth bar for 500 on craigslist but i would rather not drag around another bucket.
Are the the teeth as durable on the bars?
Thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device
They make tooth bars to fit buckets with a bolt on cutting edge....they are pretty massive pieces of steel. These bars also make the bucket lip a bit stronger with the added steel. Around here they run about $550 at a dealer, and less than half that amount hardly used.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I called quick attach and they said they didn't. Do you know a manufacturer that does?
I just don't see that bar holding up with two bolts for 7 teeth when a standard tooth bucket would have 14 bolts. (I know the lip holds the bar too but what about if the cutting edge is worn down?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I bought one that fits over the bolt on cutting edge. It was a Bradco 84" low profile bucket. The tooth portion is very heavy duty and digs very well. Not as easy getting it on and off as you would think it would be at least mine isnt. Usually I get an extended lip bucket. This one is not and yet I have good view to the cutting edge and it easier dumping into tall trucks. I like the bucket. It was just under 2K for bucket, bolt on smooth cutting edge and tooth bar.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So bradco makes the tooth bar too?
How long does it take getting it on and off?
My bucket is original and came with the gehl.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The tooth bar is also Bradco. It was mounted on the bucket when I bought it. It took 20 minutes to pry it off.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I called quick attach and they said they didn't. Do you know a manufacturer that does?
I just don't see that bar holding up with two bolts for 7 teeth when a standard tooth bucket would have 14 bolts. (I know the lip holds the bar too but what about if the cutting edge is worn down?
Posted via Mobile Device

Each tooth shank has a separate 'finger' that goes underneath the cutting edge. The ears that mount to the side of the bucket generally are elongated to adjust for a worn cutting edge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/59-5-Toothba...item19d8936a06

That auction specifies the toothbar (60") to weigh approx. 60 pounds, but the ones I've had (72"ers) usually weigh around 90 to 100 pounds.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I havent found a pic of the bradco one yet but every other bar i see would not work with my bucket. I'm thinking for 500 i would have a whole other bucket with teeth and just skip the hassle of bolting it on and off. My laziness would prevent me installing/uninstalling and I know those bolts would be gone as soon as the bar is off
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You might consider getting a Rezloh edge. I have a bucket with that cutting edge. I like it. You can dig and yet still grade with it. The only issue is pickup the last of the material off of asphalt or pavement requires a little more hand shoveling. Google Rezloh and see what you think.