Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Time to talk tool boxes

Hey guys,
So I got my new (to me) truck and I'm debating on getting a new tool box for it. I've got a 10 year old Delta on my current work truck that still looks ok, but it's got a few dings in it and the latch gives me some trouble.

Debating on swapping that in to the new truck or buying a new one. I saw the Kobalt ones at Lowes for around $300. Anyone have any feedback on Kobalt truck boxes? Any other brands you recommend? My Delta held up ok and I'm not looking to spend a fortune, just want to hear the board's opinion. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Kobalt is krap. I got mine off craigslist for 100 and the keys are twisting off. Plus the box is like tinfoil. I feel like i could pull it open if i had to.
The plus side is i had a pallet of cement bags slide and smash it and i wasnt that pissed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would use the one you have already, it's in good shape and it's for work. Have you hit the latch with a little PB Blaster, might work like new again?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah looking online for reviews people say that the Kobalt is kind of flimsy. My main issue with the latch is that the little bolts that hold it on have worked their way loose so that the latch keeps sliding partially out of the box making it a pain to open and close. I tried to cut the bolts out so that I could replace them but they're so short that it's difficult to get a tool in there. Finally got a tiny pair of bolt cutters in there hoping to cut the ends and slide them out but it didn't quite work haha. I'm sure that may be hard to visualize without a picture but it's turned in to a big pain in the rear! I'm really not sure how to remove them at this point. May try to drill them out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

If I were you I would look for a used weather guard box on craigslist in my area there are plenty that sell for $150-300 that typically retail for over $500.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2013, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Time to talk tool boxes

I agree with nnusskern weather guard is a high quality toolbox. To be honest I started using a job box for a everyday toolbox in the truck, doesn't look as sleek but is tough and secure.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought a few so long a go that the logo fell out I'm gonna try find out who makes them
Old 02-02-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a weather guard in my truck had it for the last 6 years and has held up great. It has the normal dents and dings but were throwing tools in and out of the truck. The seal on the lid keeps everything dry. My vote is weather guard followed by a delta. Avoid the cheap kobalts and tractor supply co box they just won't last.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like cam-locker. They are sweet. Cheaper than weatherguard but more than UWS. Really high quality tool box.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
I have a weather guard in my truck had it for the last 6 years and has held up great. It has the normal dents and dings but were throwing tools in and out of the truck. The seal on the lid keeps everything dry. My vote is weather guard followed by a delta. Avoid the cheap kobalts and tractor supply co box they just won't last.
I agree, spend the extra coin and get a Weather-Guard. Last toolbox you'll ever need.
Posted via Mobile Device