Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Filling in pool - need educated

Customer has a 16x45 pool that's 9' deep sloped to 4' deep that he wants me to fill in. Has 4' concrete walk around it.

I'm figuring I'll have to take my saw and cut a 3x3 square out of the deep part to allow for drainage. Adequate enough? Too big, too small?

Anyone ever done these? Not sure how tough it's going to be to lift up the sidewalk and neatly stack it in so it won't settle, but that's the plan.

Access is easy...guess I'll fill the voids with stone, bring in topsoil, rake it out and seed/straw the area. I'm thinking between $3 to $4k for the job. Too expensive or cheap?

Thanks for the input!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I did one for 5k. Biggest mistake I ever made

I will never do another one
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2013, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

My dad used to do them for free if the people werent in a rush. Free dumps and machine storage! But i would make sure you write NO GUARANTEE AGAINST SETTLING. I would perforate the whole bottom and knock the sides in too. Compact every 6" minimum and if possible let it rain on it before you're done
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
My dad used to do them for free if the people werent in a rush. Free dumps and machine storage! But i would make sure you write NO GUARANTEE AGAINST SETTLING. I would perforate the whole bottom and knock the sides in too. Compact every 6" minimum and if possible let it rain on it before you're done
Posted via Mobile Device
You covered all bases and yes it will take long time for it to settle
Old 02-01-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We do a few every year. We normally just punch alot of holes in the bottom with a breaker. Bust up the edges and throw concrete in the bottom. Put a layer or two of fabric and cover with soil. Have not had one settel yet.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info.

Wiffy - care to share any details about the one you did? You've got me curious.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Really bad timing and turned into a mess. Project took over two months. It would rain for days at a time and take a week to dry out.

It's one job I wish I passed on. Granted, I would do it again
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I did one a few years ago about that same size. It had a metal frame around the edge about 3 ft down then a vinyl liner with sand underneath. No problem with drainage once the vinyl and steel was out. Had a sidewalk all the way around and block retaining wall on one end that came out as well. Layed the slabs and block flat in layers and used the gravel and sand from around the pool and what was back filling the retaining wall to fill in the voids. This brought me up to about 2 ft from the top before adding any regular dirt. Customer was in no hurry so we waited a couple weeks and let that get rained on a couple times and settle. Then we cut back the bank where the retaining wall had been to a gentle slope and used the dirt from that cut to fill it the rest of the way up to almost level, compacting about every six inches as we went. Graded off halfway smooth but left a slight dip to hold rainwater rather than let it run off and let that settle over winter about six months. Had experienced some slight settling come spring but honestly not much. Added several loads of aggregate fill to top of that in spring to bring about level and continued to allow to settle. No noticeable settling the rest of that summer. That fall we built up the whole area with about a foot of crusher run. The following spring we built a 32x48 pole barn garage right over top of where the pool was. The building straddles the old pool both ways so all the poles and footers are on virgin ground. We put in 5" of fiberglass reinforced concrete as well as wire mesh for the floor a just to be safe. The building has been up almost 2 years now. I was there a few weeks ago doing some other work and went in to check out the floor and there isn't a single hairline crack anywhere. I was really leery about that job at first but we took our time and didn't cut any corners and it turned out well. That is the only pool fill in I've ever done. I think the biggest thing is just allow it time to settle. I don't care how well it's compacted, there will be at least some noticeable settling. Just allow for it and make sure the customer understands it and it shouldn't be a big deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Really bad timing and turned into a mess. Project took over two months. It would rain for days at a time and take a week to dry out.

It's one job I wish I passed on. Granted, I would do it again
Posted via Mobile Device
should have punched more holes into bottom
Old 02-02-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you properly compact with acceptable fill, it will not settle. If it does settle someone %ucked up. There is really no excuse for the area settling. UNLESS the owner is not willing to pay for compaction or structural fill, then certainly the area will settle over time.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.