Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Kohler CH16s will not start. Fuel issue.

I have a Cub Cadet model 2166 with a kohler single cylinder 16 hp engine. The engine is model #CH16S with a Spec #45509. The problem started like this: I would be cutting grass and the engine would began running rough and quit. I would try to restart and it would flood out. When I would take the air filter off there would be gas poring out of the carburetor. Most of the time if it sat a little while it would start and I could cut more grass. Thought it might have been the carb So we replaced it. Still had the same issue and has gotten to the point now it won't start. I can get it to start by squirting some starting fluid into the carb. Once the starting fluid runs out it will quit. If I unhook the fuel line it will pump plenty of fuel through the line. I still replaced the fuel pump. Someone told me that it could be trash in the bowl and once it sat for a few minutes it would settle back to the bottom of the bowl and it would start. There seemed to be a lot of trash in the bowl so I did he following: cleaned out the fuel tank, replaced the gas line, put on a new kohler gas filter and put new gas in the tank. It will start as long as I squirt starting fluid in the carb. I read where the solenoid on the bottom of the carb could be bad and to check it I take it out and could screw the plug in the bottom of the carburetor to see if it would start. The plunger on solenoid looked rusty so I screwed the plug in the bottom of the carb. It still won't start unless I squirt starting fluid in the carb. Got any ideas?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Did yourun gas thru it before a filter was put on?

If you did, you have trash in the new carb. And is it the right filter? I have seen where a universal filter was put on and it wouldnt allow fuel to pass thru. Try cleaning the new carb first. Clean the gas can you are using and then refill it with new gas. And clean the tank on the machine and flush the lines to the carb
Old 01-23-2013, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like the fuel solenoid isnt operating...the plug you installed may have closed off the jet..
Put 12 pos to the solenoid terminal...and ground the side of it...it should pull in (click) when voltage is applied..
Crack loose the fuelcap to insure that its no clogged...causing the fuel to stop flowing ...
Backflow the fuel line to the fuel pump...blow air through the hose back into the tank...might have a fuelline obstruction or a kink in the hose...
Backflow the fuelhose again...this time with the fuelcap tight...just a little air...check your fuelflow..should be good..
Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for the reply. I read on here somewhere that some Kohler engines will not run with an off brand gas filter so I purchased a Kohler gas filter from Cub Cadet. I cleaned the gas tank, replaced the gas line and filter, used a clean gas can and put fresh gas in the tank. I did the air check on the fuel tank. Everything seemed fine. I took the plug that came with the carb kit out of the bottom of the carb, put the solenoid back in and took the carb to get it cleaned or rebuilt if needed. I had already bought a rebuild kit. He said a couple of days. I'll let you know.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

They make fuel filters for basically 2 types of fuel systems...gravity feed and those with a fuel pump..
The filters for gravity feed do not filter as well...larger micron filters...to allow fuel to flow without pumping it thru it..
The filters for engines with fuel pumps have smaller micron filter media...allowing better filtering of the fuel..
Either filter will work on an engine with a fuel pump...
Old 02-02-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Had the carb rebuilt and put back on. That must not have been the problem. Seems to get plenty of fuel to the carb but will only start with starter fluid sprayed in carb.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Does it stay running after you get it started with the fluid..??
Old 02-02-2013, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like you have something keeping the needle from seating in the float bowl or the tip of the needle is shot. Not a big deal to pull the top of the carb off and check it out.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesimoes2 View Post
Sounds like you have something keeping the needle from seating in the float bowl or the tip of the needle is shot. Not a big deal to pull the top of the carb off and check it out.
Unless that thing has a slide throttle type carb (typical motorcycle) mounted on in it there is no top to pull off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Unless that thing has a slide throttle type carb (typical motorcycle) mounted on in it there is no top to pull off.
Posted via Mobile Device
And if it's up side down