Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Around here property that size would be bring in around $400-$500 a cut depending on amount of trimming and blowing needed.
16' Landscape trailer
2008 Toro Z500
2007 Toro 21" commercial
2007 Toro 40" commercial
2008 Craftsman 33"
2008 Bluebird S22
2009 Pluger 400
And a whole lotta other stuff
Old 02-02-2013, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm all in at Four hundred and seventy dollars.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Go walk it off dang thats part of the business knowing sq ft of lawns and you get a feel of the land you cant get that from a picture
Old 02-02-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Hello Above Par and Mo Turk always good to see Missouri Mowers onboard. Sir your in missouri I know you must have a Yardage Pro or similar distance measuring tool for deer hunting. This tool is in my truck 24/7 for quick measuring larger areas as refernce to lot sizes. Total all your areas and figure the acreage and apply that price, then add in your trimming and blow vac hard surfaces. These propertie(s) could handle a yearly rate that will be divided by 8 months. This rate should include every service you will perform divided by 8. AP if you can mock mow the property to get and idea of how much time you will spend on the mower in one area that would help the axniousness for this job. Good luck and look at this in small portion not the overall mass of property.
Big Tex 60SP 6.5x16 trailer
John Deere ZTRs 925aEFI 60" 920a 60" 910a 54" (2)
John Deere 7H17/WG32A
Honda HRC216HXA 21" (2)
Little Wonder Leaf Loader and Optimax 570V
Echo/Stihl handheld service equipment
Husquvarna 445/395XP
Western Pro Plus 8.5/ SnowEx SP-1075
Toro 826 OE Snow Thrower
American Family Ins
"making the st.louis area beautiful one lawn at a time"
Old 02-02-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Par Lawns View Post
Thanks. Yeah I was thinking it would be somewhere around $300 to cut. That just seems crazy to me. That's $1200 bucks a month someone's paying to have their grass cut. That's more than my damn house payment! Lol

You sound like a kid. Why would that be crazy? to pay that much when it takes the time and money to do it.

I'm waiting on some checks too brother. I hate it! That's why I'm not taking them anymore.

You'll weed out all the high end customers by saying you don't take checks and be left with the cheap ones.

I wish I could get $70 per hour by myself on a regular basis!

If you know what you're doing, you can get that kind of money.

I've got an iPad. So there's got to "be an app for that" right?
Go to the app store and take a look.

Being you'll be putting down herbicides and stuff, you obviously have a license for it right? I'd find it hard to believe that you do if you can't even begin to figure out what to charge to cut grass.

Making smart comments to Roger isn't going to get you far either. He's one of just a few that actually know what they are doing.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
The way math works in my country is $70 / 2 = $35 per man hour.
Right, one poster was apparently thinking he was shooting for 70.00 per man hr, (he stated 70.00 PMH) instead of 70.00 per hr combined, which is as you said, an average of 35.00/hr.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looking at it $250 does seem low, but if he was kicking the idea around of giving you the job it might pay to go and talk to him. Give him the price you were thinking of and sell yourself, find out why he wanted to switch and talk about the benefits you would bring to his property. I would love to have that job.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Above Par, I understand the learning curve and one thing that has always stuck with me about learning about bidding on a property is an easy sentence to remember when your looking at what your bidding and you think "man that's a lot of money". Don't bid their lawn with your wallet. im sure you get it but just bid the bid and don't drop your price cause you think its too much. They are getting bids for a reason, cause they can afford it, and if they cant then you will find out when they don't take your bid, but don't compromise. Hopefully that will work for you the way it does for me! Good luck
Old 02-02-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bel-nor View Post
Hello Above Par and Mo Turk always good to see Missouri Mowers onboard. Sir your in missouri I know you must have a Yardage Pro or similar distance measuring tool for deer hunting. This tool is in my truck 24/7 for quick measuring larger areas as refernce to lot sizes. Total all your areas and figure the acreage and apply that price, then add in your trimming and blow vac hard surfaces. These propertie(s) could handle a yearly rate that will be divided by 8 months. This rate should include every service you will perform divided by 8. AP if you can mock mow the property to get and idea of how much time you will spend on the mower in one area that would help the axniousness for this job. Good luck and look at this in small portion not the overall mass of property.
Damn how did I never think of this! Of course I have a Bushnell laying around somewhere! It never crossed my mind to it for measuring large properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Go to the app store and take a look.

Being you'll be putting down herbicides and stuff, you obviously have a license for it right? I'd find it hard to believe that you do if you can't even begin to figure out what to charge to cut grass.

Making smart comments to Roger isn't going to get you far either. He's one of just a few that actually know what they are doing.
I am taking my test on the 14th to get my license. I just took an 8 week class on Pesticides and am confident going into my test. Don't assume just because I have no experience bidding larger properties that I'm clueless about everything else. The Green Industry is my passion, I love what we do. This will be my first year mowing lawns so pardon me for asking a simple question that YOU may think is dumb.

And who the hell is Roger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock Lawncare View Post
Above Par, I understand the learning curve and one thing that has always stuck with me about learning about bidding on a property is an easy sentence to remember when your looking at what your bidding and you think "man that's a lot of money". Don't bid their lawn with your wallet. im sure you get it but just bid the bid and don't drop your price cause you think its too much. They are getting bids for a reason, cause they can afford it, and if they cant then you will find out when they don't take your bid, but don't compromise. Hopefully that will work for you the way it does for me! Good luck
Great Advice! Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterlawn View Post
Looking at it $250 does seem low, but if he was kicking the idea around of giving you the job it might pay to go and talk to him. Give him the price you were thinking of and sell yourself, find out why he wanted to switch and talk about the benefits you would bring to his property. I would love to have that job.
I talked to him finally. He's going to stick with 'the other guys' for this year which I think is better for me anyways. They cut his office as well and it's pretty large. He even told me that he knew he was getting a steal. Since he's getting such a good deal on mowing he said he wants me to make some changes in his landscaping and handle weed & feed. I'll make a nice profit handling all this for him and it'll be neat to do some design work on such a nice property!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
The way I read the OP's post is that he was shooting for 70.00 per hr (combined) for him and a helper. I may be wrong but I would think 70.00 per man hr would be way high.
Sorry, this post was worded badly and is confusing.
I was attempting to point out that a poster had used the term 70.00/ PMH, but I thought the OP was originally meaning 70.00 for him and a helper, which is obviously 35.00/ PMH (average).

Maybe someone will delete it for me.
Thanks, Stan