Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-02-2013, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
cutting a lawn does some skill especially when a 61 or 72" commercial zero turn rider is used, and the yard is wet, has hills or dips in or maybe even a pond at the bottom of a hill. trimming around around objects is a skill, not everyone can do it, some can do it but not very well, so can do it well, but not very fast, some can do it well and efficiently, same with cutting a lawn, anyone can mow a lawn with a 21" push mower but to cut that same lawn with a big commercial zero turn and not screw things up takes some skill. i'm gonna even go as far as saying even doing a fall clean up takes skill, not a whole lot, but i've seen people screw up a spring/fall clean up.
I think it requires common sense and basic mechanical aptitude. I'm willing to concede that a lot of people lack these things...namely employees who have no skin in the game.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-02-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
Joe-Shmoe LCO or homeowner? The homeowner who mows his own lawn by and large doesn't give a rats A. He just wants it done.

I've never seen a LCO around here that does bad work. 75% of us run the same Exmark machines. All yards are striped beautifully. All clippings are blown off the walks and the street. The quality is top notch. I've literally never stopped and watched another LCO and said to myself "Man, these guys suck." Never once has that happened in my 10 years.
Its similar to that around here, most lco's do a pretty good job, but there are some that will miss spots trimming, even mowing, and i find it hard considering they have 3 guys per lawn compared to my 2. but skimping on trimming is a popular one around me, i don't care to skimp on trimming, because i think that will make or break a lawn, the stripes don't matter as much as good trimming and not having any clumps.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I think it requires common sense and basic mechanical aptitude. I'm willing to concede that a lot of people lack these things...namely employees who have no skin in the game.
pretty much.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

speaking of trimming: A potential customer once told me that they want their sidewalk edged with an edger, and i told her that i don't have one. No complaints from customers, just from this one who declined my service.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
speaking of trimming: A potential customer once told me that they want their sidewalk edged with an edger, and i told her that i don't have one. No complaints from customers, just from this one who declined my service.
You can pick up a new stick edger for about $350. you can get a good used one for around $150. May be worth the investment for ya. It really does look a lot better when its done with an edger. Takes less time too.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-02-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The one's who think there is no skill involved usually list their business for sale on CL after 2 months
Old 02-02-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
The one's who think there is no skill involved usually list their business for sale on CL after 2 months
These types of comments just don't make any sense to me. They serve no purpose. Who are you posturing for? I don't get it.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-02-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's mostly hard work which alot of people refuse to do, and it's hard work in weather extremes which most other jobs don't see. Skill wise my kids when they were 10 yrs old (I won't say younger) we able to cut with a hustler 340, that's a 72" cut 4 cylinder diesel and do a great job.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
These types of comments just don't make any sense to me. They serve no purpose. Who are you posturing for? I don't get it.
I'm not posturing, I'm stating the obvious. Not all of us brag how are customers don't care about the quality of the services we provide

Some of us care about our reputation and the time it takes to develop the various skill sets to do this job safely and productively. I can run equipment, set grade, drive a CMV, do concrete flatwork/stamping etc..... don't tell me there is NO skill involved in this trade, you're comments make you sound naive and uninformed of the industry you work in
Old 02-02-2013, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Joe-Shmoe LCO or homeowner? The homeowner who mows his own lawn by and large doesn't give a rats A. He just wants it done.

I've never seen a LCO around here that does bad work. 75% of us run the same Exmark machines. All yards are striped beautifully. All clippings are blown off the walks and the street. The quality is top notch. I've literally never stopped and watched another LCO and said to myself "Man, these guys suck." Never once has that happened in my 10 years.
That might be that way in your area but I would say that is not the norm.

Almost anyone can RUN a ZTR, trimmer and edger

But not near as many can OPERATE then.