Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-10-2003, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Change the business name.

It's odd to ask for home improvement jobs when the name is Lawn Care.

It's tough to do 'everything'! It's kinda like building a tool to do everything. You end up with one of those leatherman... WHile you do have a tool of variety you do NOT have the best screwdriver, or the best pliers, or the best.... And it is tough to compete when you are not the best at something. Instead you have to compete as the one-stop shop... It does work and is popular and has a niche, but that is how you have to market it....

Instead of Lawn Care it is more like "Home Care. We care for your home and all its needs." Probably professional property managers and individuals with lots of rental property would be a natural client market for that.... ?

And then one of you ought to focus on doing the outside stuf and one do the inside stuff.. Even set your business' up that way. Each has his own biz as a sole prop. And you simply get synergy from each other, the name, advertising, and referalls. As for working together on the big projects, est a rate to pay each other. If he help you pay him $x and vice versa. That will be much easier than trying to do a formal partnership.

You do NOT want to be mowing one property in the morning and then at 11:00 be going to a house to work inside caulking their bathroom floor.

Lastly think of ALL the equipment you need to do ALL of those tasks..... that is a lot of money in equipment that will be idle most of the time. Not very efficient use of capital and that is dangerous for new businesses. Consider lots of subcontractors and renting equipment you will use infrequently. Have those prices before you bid of course....

Good luck.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd change the name to Cincy Property Maintenance.

Have your logo include a couple things like mowers and carpenters, stuff like that.

Then get the logo w/ phone # on all your trucks and trailers, t-shirts, hats, etc. Hand out lots of fliers and biz cards.

Go around your area and find out who is renting alot of props and market to them. Everyone could use handyman type services but I think the people owning and renting out props would be the bread and butter. You could cold call, leave cards or fliers on the doors, talk to some real estate agents,etc.

Good luck!
Old 08-10-2003, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

To cincy lawn care

Concentrate on 1 or 2 related services and specialize. From my experience, you will end up going in so many different directions you will lose sight of where your business is headed. Network with other tradesmen in your area who provide the other services and hand off to them what isn't your speciality. Hopefully they will hand off to you what isn't theirs. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2003, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

We don't do anything inside... It's basically everything outside when it comes to maintenance and improvement. We decided to offer more services so that we could draw more business and offer more of are great work for our customers. That way it's more convenient for them when it comes time to having work done. They won't have to shop different companies for different needs...

We pretty much have all the tools and equipment needed to do what I listed. I do see your guys points. I think maybe me and my partner will just sit down and get a list of the types of jobs we can handle and just let our customers know what all we can do if they need it. That way we are only advertising a few services...
Thanks a bunch guys!
Old 08-11-2003, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes when you try to be all for your customers you end up being nothig, not saying it can't happen just like some people said it, try to focus on couple of thigns, maybe don't advertise the home improvement side too much, Landcape and lawn maintenance is a good combination, I've seen many people confuse by some flyer that companies send.

When you said tree removal and trimming, are you talking about using a chain saw? if you do, Do you have proper insurance for this type of work? I do own couple of chain saws, but would never cut a big tree (not at this point) neither advertise for it.

Having your truck profesionaly lettered is a good investment, you can make some doorhanger distributed'em around, some people are against this practice but it gave me pretty good result when I started my company.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have done construction work for the last 6 years and done everything from the concrete work to the painting and every where in between. I have all the tools any man could want for a shop. But things in that field have started to slow somewhat. I have turned to lawn maintanence to try and build a well known name for myself, but I don't market them together at all. Doing Remodels for someone will lead to lawn work and vise versa. Thats only after I have done work for them. I could use some more work for sure I would love start hiring to try and seperate both from one another even more but I am greedy and can't justify it now. I would keep both comanys seperate and more or less contract to one another. I'll scatch your back if you scatch mine. This will help both of you stay friends and keep both business going alot easier. And don't ask each other for to much.
I have learned this the hard way with my Dad and he is learning that he should scratched a little harder for me.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I like what Green in Idaho said.

Since there are two of you why not go with two seperate names. Something like Cincy Grounds Maintenance or Cincy Lawn and Landscape and Cincy Home Improvements. Those are just suggestions if you like the Cincy thing. I would try and find something original.
If each of you concentrates on one part of the buisness it will better prepare you for when things get going.