Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelawns View Post
Often times I do not buy any new equipment if it isn't going to pay for itself in a short period of time...
What are everyone else's thoughts on the matter???

If the equipment isn't paying for itself in a short time would mean that you aren't charging enough when you use it or you aren't using it enough to justify the purchase. That would be your thoughts. Right?
That is my thinking on the matter as well... if the equipment isn't going to pay for itself, then it is likely something you don't need... always been my rule...

We are thinking the same way...

However:
Now that I'm winding down the career and mowing isn't even my main thing at all, I still want to buy a mower that will do a better job with all the forest lawns I do... But I really can't charge more for it... it will just do a better job...
Old 01-26-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

For me it's an issue of downtime I buy new commercial grade everything, blowers trimmers and such don't cost enough to risk the downtime of a used one, I started out buying cheap stuff I guess like everybody, but it always was used up within a season so I made the decision to go commercial grade on everything haven't regretted that decison yet.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think it depends. I just bought a verticutter that was a HD rental. It was used once as told to me by the rental dept. I paid $392 out the door for it. I don't have any jobs yet, but will soon enough. But I can have it sit for now and it's not that big a deal. Now, if I were going to buy a new one for 3-K and don't have any jobs lined up, different story...I think it depends on the equipment, cost, and if you will have the work to justify the purchase. I wouldn't buy a sod cutter if I did one sod install per year, but if I was doing 5-10/yr, it would make more sense to buy it...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Obviously there's a big difference between a 3k sod cutter and a $300 trimmer or blower, that's going to get used and abused daily, I would love to have an aerator but we don't do enough yet to justify one, so we rent, hopefully that will change this year but even then I probably won't buy a new one, I would love to have a brush cutter also but again we're not quite ready for such a large purchase so we rent.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree that we are talking about the most business sense,,, that makes sense...
I cringe every time I hear about people going into debt just to buy the 'TOYS' they think that every pro. should have...
Old 02-03-2013, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well for something like my lawn mower which was over 10000 i give it a year, for something like a backpack blower i plan on it paying me back in a days time, same with a trimmer, my bagger system which was close to 3000 i planned on it paying me back within a few months. my plow within a single snow storm, my 12" diesel wood chipper within a weeks time. so pretty fast, for everything i buy, if It's not gonna make me the money back within a years time i probably don't need it.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
well for something like my lawn mower which was over 10000 i give it a year, for something like a backpack blower i plan on it paying me back in a days time, same with a trimmer, my bagger system which was close to 3000 i planned on it paying me back within a few months. my plow within a single snow storm, my 12" diesel wood chipper within a weeks time. so pretty fast, for everything i buy, if It's not gonna make me the money back within a years time i probably don't need it.
So if you pay $500 for a BP you expect to make $500/day profit, WOW!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For my $500.00 BP Blower I charge only $10-$15/hr to run the machine, besides the other charges... so my exa. would be 40-50 hours to pay for the blower...
My smaller blower that I got about 10 yrs ago I only charged $5/hr to run...

Now I'm in a quandry about buying my new lawnmower, because I WANT a certain one, but business wise it will not increase revenue at all... so I don't NEED it...
Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
For my $500.00 BP Blower I charge only $10-$15/hr to run the machine, besides the other charges... so my exa. would be 40-50 hours to pay for the blower...
My smaller blower that I got about 10 yrs ago I only charged $5/hr to run...

Now I'm in a quandry about buying my new lawnmower, because I WANT a certain one, but business wise it will not increase revenue at all... so I don't NEED it...
Exactly! You not going to pay for a piece of equip in a day normally.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
So if you pay $500 for a BP you expect to make $500/day profit, WOW!
yes, I have days doing fall clean ups where I can gross 1000-1200, no way do my expenses for the day come close to half that even, probably not even a 1/4 of that including taxes. even on a bad day of fall clean ups i'll profit 4-500. my only problem is i only have about 20 clean ups maybe. that's probably stretching it, but my bagger system paid for itself pretty quick still just doing clean ups with it. something like the new cheetah i bought which actually cost me 7300 because i traded in my 05 tiger cub towards it will take a little longer to pay for itself but still relatively quickly otherwise, It wasn't worth buying and it didn't need it.

I charge by the job for clean ups. usually if I price it right and things go smooth i'll end up at 140 hour, with myself and 2 other guys. the reality is if I charged 50/hr 60/hr per man per hour i would make more but i think my customers would have trouble with that. even if told 30 or 40 per man per hour they would think i'm crazy, so i just give them a price for the whole job start to finish, i'm usually pretty accurate on clean ups

Last edited by RSK Property Maintenance; 02-04-2013 at 10:43 AM.