Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2013, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

New truck dilemma.. Has to do with moving equipment

Well I posted this here to get some insight from you guys that move equipment regularly.

Now I know the unanimous vote is going to be diesel, but will a gas engine suffice?

I can get a 3500 hemi for about 18k. 4wd, nothing special but nice. Or I can spend 25 or so and step up to a diesel. My plan this summer is to pick up a bobcat and possibly a mini ex. I don't do a whole lot of towing, maybe 2-3 days a week.

Diesels under 20 around here all have 120k+ miles on them and are beat up. I need 4 doors and a good image.

So guys, what do you think?

Truck may also get a plow, I'm undecided on that at the moment
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

3500 with a hemi would be horrible on fuel and would be gutless. If you have owned a diesel in the past you won't ever go back to gas. Ecspecially for towing you just can't compare
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2013, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Spend the little extra and get a diesel. Put some elbow grease into it and clean and shine it up a bit and you should be good to go. I bought a gas engine thinking I wouldnt need a diesel and my fuel for the month is through the roof!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What size machines? If its over about 8k with the trailer i would go diesel. My setup is about 10k total and i feel it on the diesel
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I drive a 11' 3500, crewcab dually 4x4, with Cymmins diesel. My lil bro has an 11' 1500 crewcab 2wd with Hemi. There is no way that motor in his truck could move my truck. I get around 11-13mpg towing my gooseneck, he gets around 17mpg on the highway, if i had a hemi in my truck my towing mpg would be like 7-10. Get a diesel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2013, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It will be a minimum of a t190 possibly a t320. Depends on the budget, excvavtor will be a 35d.

I do land clearing and mulching.

The reason I'm wondering is I have a 5.9 gas 2500 and it pulls equipment with no problem.

I know I should just get the diesel
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

V10 ford maybe? i for one (not knowing your highway conditions) would have no problem driving a gasser especially if you're just starting out. the diesels at $$ at purchase, $$ in operating and $$ in repairs. You won't win any drag races with the v8 engine but thats not why you buy the truck is it? i have a fleet of slower trucks (though all diesel), gets you into less trouble I'd think.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I love the smell of diesel. You may pay less now but you will pay more later
Well you see what fits you better if you don't drive that much ok gas if you on road a lot do the math
Old 02-03-2013, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up a 95 4x4 dodge with cummins, auto, 3.55 gears for my wife a couple years back for $8k...had a 100k miles....very bottom of the doors were just starting to rust, but the rest of the truck was incredibly rust free (looked as if came from TX) and in nice shape.

Now, I end up using it more than my 01 powerstroke because it gets better mileage, more comfortable to drive, and is less expensive to repair. Granted, the 3.55 gears aren't that great for towing, but it does just fine...pulls 5 to 6k with no problems around here (I wouldn't go out to Western MD though) on the stock tranny. Kinda wish I waited to find a manual (could make it into one), but my wife enjoys the auto.

The 95-2002 powerstrokes and the 89 to 2004 ish cummins are shooting up in price rapidly, but you can still find a relatively low mileage one for decent money.

My edit - just saw that you need four doors and a 'good image'....the latter is a relative concept...I like older vehicles in good shape and my customers don't seem to mind either.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
I drive a 11' 3500, crewcab dually 4x4, with Cymmins diesel. My lil bro has an 11' 1500 crewcab 2wd with Hemi. There is no way that motor in his truck could move my truck. I get around 11-13mpg towing my gooseneck, he gets around 17mpg on the highway, if i had a hemi in my truck my towing mpg would be like 7-10. Get a diesel.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm jealous. My '08 Ford PS on my crew cab flatbed pulling 12k gets 6.6 mpg..

With that said, go diesel. It's more expensive up front and with repairs but you will have better pulling (and stopping) power if it has an exhaust break.

A T320 is a heavy machine and you will need a strong trailer. I don't think I'd want to pull a 12k trailer again with a gasser. I did for a few years with a 454.. 4-5 mpg, always overheating, no start off torque, etc.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing