Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2013, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

treating large areas

Working on a bid for a school campus. The grounds with the buildings is about 6 acres( buildings, beds, walks, etc). Then there is a newly purchase area that it wide open, its 4 acres.

I use a z-spray and I'm working on my labor cost. I figured I could spray the entire 10 acres in about 3-3.25 hours. I would have to fill up twice. I'm guessing that spreding fert only would be about the same time. Am I close in your experience?

Seems this will need to be prices at time + materials as I doubt that I could get my normal residential rate. Is $150 per hours in the ball park? I honestly don't have a clue on this.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

what kind of production rate are you guys getting? 3 acres per hour?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can do up to 4 acres an hour on a Z-Max if it's wide open but thats bookin.

Just measure it. Take your acre price (presuming you have one) and multiply it.

Done.

It's up to you what you need to or want to make as far as profit goes but I can tell you that municipal and school work goes on the cheap so don't get greedy if you want a chance at the gig.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Working on a bid for a school campus. The grounds with the buildings is about 6 acres( buildings, beds, walks, etc). Then there is a newly purchase area that it wide open, its 4 acres.

I use a z-spray and I'm working on my labor cost. I figured I could spray the entire 10 acres in about 3-3.25 hours. I would have to fill up twice. I'm guessing that spreding fert only would be about the same time. Am I close in your experience?

Seems this will need to be prices at time + materials as I doubt that I could get my normal residential rate. Is $150 per hours in the ball park? I honestly don't have a clue on this.
I don't think you will do 10 acres in 3.25 hrs when you are spreading fert and spraying for weeds and being 2 differnt sites

I would give your self a little more time

Charles Cue
Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
I don't think you will do 10 acres in 3.25 hrs when you are spreading fert and spraying for weeds and being 2 differnt sites

I would give your self a little more time

Charles Cue
The Axiom of bidding and sound advice.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most people don't bid work like this as a time and materials gig. Thats where you are approaching this wrong. Most have set acre pricing and then you tweak that depending on difficulty and a few other factors.

Hills, broken up areas, multiple sites tied to one deal etc. The list goes on and on but at the time you sit down to bid any job like this or of size (multiple acres) you should already have acre pricing set.

Then it's a matter of fine tuning the bid due to difficulty, and who you are bidding it for because theres another tweak you may need to make as the work you are currently bidding often times goes as cheap as it gets.

You should be able to put a lawn care bid together for pretty much any size site in a matter of hours anymore with the satellite measuring tools and a visit an email and a phone call.

Badaboom bada-bing
Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We don't really even look at time per say. We base our price off of area and difficulty. Which I guess would tie to time but that isn't how we charge.

For 10 acres I would say you can easily spray and fert it in 3.5 - 4 hours but you also need to take into count spraying along the edges and back pack blowing etc.

On a project with a lot of blacktop or concrete I will even add extra for blowing off (which again kinda comes down to time).
Old 02-05-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys. This bid is one of those "as needed" types. They don't know what they want or have gotten.

So I'm pricing everything as individual apps. Per, post, lime, Fert, grub, etc they could then choose what they want. I'm not sure they have really ever had a real program.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GMW,
Those government entities like to include things like% of Mark Up or discounts off retail as one of their factors.

What I would do is bid if able in their frame work, the material as a percent of markup and then a labor rate including the cost of the equipment.

If you have to write a narrative tell them there are several treatment options depending on the concern. As part of an effective IPM program for Schools, the product options and pest would need to be evaluated on an as needed basis.

So in other words, bid your labor rate straight up and materials as a Mark UP of actual cost.

Often you will find these people like those methods and I have gotten plenty of extra work once you prove yourself as the solution guy.