Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2013, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Can I be in your club? The old and the new. By myself. You can't see the pattern in the decking but it's the same as the handrails. The handrails are a little odd but that's what the HO wanted. I also put a SunSetter 20' retractable awning on there too.

Not sure if I inserted these images correctly....

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-03-2013, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

IMO it takes skill to do anything well. I know guys that can build decks and hardscapes well but cant mow worth crap and vice versa. It takes skill to be good at your trade no matter what it is.

An electrician will say a carpenter is unskilled, a plumber will say an electrician is unskilled, an engineer will say anything that involves manual labor is unskilled. Theres no right or wrong.

My customers do care about quality. I consider myself skilled at what I do well. Being professional is what separates the men from the boys in my market.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
I believe I stated that several times too. Lot's of ego and hubris on this site.

I'm positive 99.9% of people can't build a deck like me. That takes skill. Mowing a lawn doesn't. There's a huge difference between the 2 things.
I have built a few decks, done much detailed tile and finish carpentry work, plumbing, electric, and am able to fix just about any piece of equipment. I even built my 4000 sq ft. custom home with the help of a couple of friends.

All this, I do not consider to have anything to do with landscaping and I call myself a "Landscaper" and am proud of it. Mowing a lawn is only service in landscaping. If you only mow lawns then your a "grass cutter", not a "landscaper". I have 20 men working for me, some are just grass cutters and others are what I call landscapers. The skill level is reflected in thier pay.

In doing all these things, building decks is not difficult. That's one of those projects that are usually, left to homeowners. I would at times build decks for friends on a weekend, for some burgers and beers.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=StanWilhite;4663884]Math is a problem for younger people.

I recently read an "in depth" article concerning the problems younger people are having to deal with these days when it comes to math skills needed to succeed in the world of building (and other related jobs that involve math).

The article said that, as a result of very thorough testing involving math problems, they found that 47% of people under 30 years old had the equivalent of a 6th grade level when it comes to math skills.

Stop and think about that for a moment....47% are at a 6th grade level when it comes to math!

47%.....that's almost a third!

Dang.....did no one catch this or am I the only one that thinks it's funny? Please....be gentle........
Old 02-04-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=StanWilhite;4665475]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Math is a problem for younger people.

I recently read an "in depth" article concerning the problems younger people are having to deal with these days when it comes to math skills needed to succeed in the world of building (and other related jobs that involve math).

The article said that, as a result of very thorough testing involving math problems, they found that 47% of people under 30 years old had the equivalent of a 6th grade level when it comes to math skills.

Stop and think about that for a moment....47% are at a 6th grade level when it comes to math!

47%.....that's almost a third!

Dang.....did no one catch this or am I the only one that thinks it's funny? Please....be gentle........
Just further proves the point. Look at some of the posts on here. Guys trying to run a business and can't figure simple things. Overhead, profit and loss, gas mileage, finance costs, interest. Basic math and it befuddles grown adults, most with at least a hs diploma.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wasn't sure if 47% being a third was a joke or not, so i left it alone.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=Patriot Services;4665493]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post

Just further proves the point. Look at some of the posts on here. Guys trying to run a business and can't figure simple things. Overhead, profit and loss, gas mileage, finance costs, interest. Basic math and it befuddles grown adults, most with at least a hs diploma.
Posted via Mobile Device
I know what you mean. Sometimes I think maybe we all could benefit from slowing down and thinking about something a little more before making a post.
I know I'm guilty of that from time to time myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
I wasn't sure if 47% being a third was a joke or not, so i left it alone.
I appreciate the kindness.......but yea, it was at least an attempt at a little humor.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you guys are all over the place with this thread!lol Entertainment in February is always a good thing. I don't consider deck-building hardscape-it's carpentry. But yes, it takes some skill. Carry on!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ill just add my 2 cents, because thats all I can add.

To operate my SOLO business requires all of the following or I could not stay in business;;;;

I have to be a truck mechanic.

I have to be a small engine mechanic.

I have to be a tool sharpner.

I have to be a plummer.

I have to be a welder.

I have to be a salesman.

I have to be a bookkeeper.

I have to be a secetary.

The whole point being operating a lawncare business is a whole lot more than pushing a lawnmower. Some call it unskilled but anyone working for the "man" would trade places with all of us if they were able too.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Ill just add my 2 cents, because thats all I can add.

To operate my SOLO business requires all of the following or I could not stay in business;;;;

I have to be a truck mechanic.

I have to be a small engine mechanic.

I have to be a tool sharpner.

I have to be a plummer.

I have to be a welder.

I have to be a salesman.

I have to be a bookkeeper.

I have to be a secetary.

The whole point being operating a lawncare business is a whole lot more than pushing a lawnmower. Some call it unskilled but anyone working for the "man" would trade places with all of us if they were able too.
100% correct. It takes a skill SET to operate this or any business.
Posted via Mobile Device