Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-01-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Flushing oil out of attachments

Got a couple new to me(old) attachments that i want to flush the old oil out.

Got a couple thoughts ,but might not be the best.One of the attachments is a brush mulcher (high flow).

Lets hear some idea!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hook one of the quick attach hoses to your machine. The other one take the fitting off and stick it in a bucket. Start your machine and hit the button to make attachment work. Instead of fluid going back to the machine it will go into bucket. Just keep a eye on the fluid level in the tank on your machine.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred350 View Post
Hook one of the quick attach hoses to your machine. The other one take the fitting off and stick it in a bucket. Start your machine and hit the button to make attachment work. Instead of fluid going back to the machine it will go into bucket. Just keep a eye on the fluid level in the tank on your machine.
with high flow mulcher you will probably have a case drain.. need to account for that fluid, too. There's not that much in the system.. should be few gallons at most. I'd be weary of running all the fluid out of it unless you did it on low flow and low rpm.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-01-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe making inline filter with flat face couplers so where it hooks to the machine you have a filter and then run it for a few mins to circulate it through and get all the crap out.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would just run it then change the oil and filter in the machine if you're that worried about it. What happened to it? Submerged?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2013, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing wrong with attachments other then just wanting to flush the oil out because of putting on another machine that has different oil in it's system.

What do you guys do that rents attachments all the time that has been on other machine that you don't know?

The mulcher has the big high flow hoses and a small set of hoses for the door.So my guess is that i would have too drain both the cylinder for the door and the motor for the mulcher.Not sure if just flushing the one would get everything.Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
with high flow mulcher you will probably have a case drain.. need to account for that fluid, too. There's not that much in the system.. should be few gallons at most. I'd be weary of running all the fluid out of it unless you did it on low flow and low rpm.
My thought was as yours, since we are talking 30 gal per mintue,might get a little messy trying to drain in a 5 gallom bucket.

To do it on low flow i would have to get fitting to reduce it down form the large couplers the small couplers to work.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I just do what was said before. Just use the attachment for a bit then change oil and filter in the machine soon after. Just as easy as trying to flush the attachment, and the machine gets maintained at the same time. I think most attachments probably hold a very small amount of oil in the hoses and motors/cylinders as compared to the total system capacity. Less than 10 percent I'd bet for most average attachments. Unless you know the oil to be badly contaminated I doubt it would cause any problem as long as not left in the system for a long time. Keeping the filter changed is the most important thing. Hydraulic oil doesn't really break down like engine oil. Moisture and debris are your enemies. JMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Construct'O View Post
My thought was as yours, since we are talking 30 gal per mintue,might get a little messy trying to drain in a 5 gallom bucket.

To do it on low flow i would have to get fitting to reduce it down form the large couplers the small couplers to work.
Do it at an idle, its not going to provide 30gpm at an idle. Use a 55gal drum, if you want you could also fab up a quick assembly to screw into the bung hole and your return and case drain can both go into that manifold. BTW we use black steel pipe.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe I am under concerned about such things, I would not get excited about it. However if you feel obligated I would disconnect the lines that go into the hyd motor. By far those large lines hold the bulk of the oil in the attachment. The oil actually in the hyd motor itself is very small. I would not worry about the small amount of oil in the motor.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.