Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2013, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegomow View Post
I just checked into e tracks and from what I have read on different sites they say "for enclosed trailers." What type of flooring do you have? I would like to install them on mine but I worry that my flooring of individual boards won't be secure enough.
You have to mount them through the boards and through the frame of the trailer other wise they would just rip the boards out in an impact.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
You have to mount them through the boards and through the frame of the trailer other wise they would just rip the boards out in an impact.
Thank you, that's a lot better idea, a big duhhh for me.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The floor boards are 2x8" and are secured to the frame and there is angle iron covering the ends of the floor boards. I have the e track secured with lag bolts that go through the floor. This survived the impact I posted earlier. Hope this helps. Matt
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Faststraps all the way
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't believe the number of people here that don't tie down their equipment. Granted I'm new here and to this business, but I'm not new to hauling equipment, dealing with DOT and how they will look for a way to ticket you anytime you are in an accident, no matter who's fault it is. I have been hauling heavy equipment of all types, from 100k lb excavators to walkbehind floor scrubbers. 2 years ago I was driving a peterbuilt flatbed with a 10,000lb forklift on the bed. A guy tried to beat me pulling into his driveway on a main rd (40mph speed limit) and didn't make it. I T-boned his Ford focus with 35k lbs of truck. He bounced off the front push bumper like a ping pong ball and came to a stop 3 doors down the street. His car was totalled, my truck had a scratch on the bumper. When the police showed up, they called a DOT cop in to inspect the truck. The cop went over EVERYTHING. Checked each chain link with a stretch gauge, check the binder tension, the tie down points on the forklift and the truck, the hooks, EVERYTHING. The fork lift didn't move a fraction of an inch. The DOT cop came over to me after they rushed the guy and his wife to the hospital and shook my hand. He thanked me for doing it right and left.

If I had the mind set of some of the guys here, I would be dead as the forklift would have gone forward right through the cab taking me with it.

For me, its four point tie downs for all equipment on wheels with an engine. The next time I am in an accident, I don't want any tickets. Take the time to do it right, be the professionals that you so badly want to be recognized as. If you don't, the tickets will hurt, but not nearly as bad as be responsible for the death of some lady or kid because your mower flew off the trailer when you got hit.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That's a great post Tuff, what guys don't realize in the event of an impact without four points being tied down properly all the forces involved add up and can end up being catastrophic for all involved. Like I said in a earlier post we strap all the mowers down on four points with the heaviest duty ratchet straps you can buy. I thought about chains but not sure if that is overkill for mowers. Especially after experiencing one emergency stop already and everything held perfectly, maybe a different result in an impact though. I can't remember the ratings on the straps I bought I just bought the heaviest ones I could find. I have a CDL so I know I would be looked at very closely by DOT if stopped.Any thoughts on chains for commercial mowers?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Md requires chains and binders for mowers. I use straps
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the thing. I read other posts elsewhere on this forum with people saying things like, "I use the parking brake and/or I park between some blocks of wood and my equipment doesn't move". Your not strapping it down to prevent the equipment from moving while driving 25mph through a neighborhood. Your strapping it down so that when you get hit or someone hits you, it wont go anywhere. Its that "one time" that they need to be strapped down. That one time could ruin your life or cost someone else theirs.

Here is a video that shows how quickly things can wrong. Sure, this isn't a lawn mower but its still relevant as it shows how doing it wrong or becoming complacent can end your life. The driver of the truck died instantly....

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80540367/
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Straps for mowers are like seatbelts to us. You may never need them, but if you do..............
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.