Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2013, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Should I sell or fix my truck?

Hey everyone,

I have a 2005 gmc sierra 1500 4.3 v6 2wd and manual transmission. Heres the deal, I thought my throw-out bearing was going bad but i figured out that its my front transmission bearing. This basically means that my transmission will have to be re-built. The truck has 99,000 miles on it and it is my daily driver as well as my work truck. When i'm home from college i run a small landscape/lawn biz with about 25 total costumers, i pull a 10 ft trailer that usually hauls my mower or mulch/gravel/dirt (for landscaping jobs). I figure the truck is worth about $5,600. If i got a new transmission and did the work myself, it would run in the $1000 range. The bottom line is should I fix my truck and make it last? Or should I sell it and upgrade to a slightly bigger truck?

Thank you for your replies!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I vote keep it as long as the rest of it is pretty sound.. Miles are relatively low and it sounds well suited to your needs. An 8 year old V6 (it's manual so I'm guessing work truck model. Cab size?) half ton with a transmission on the way out is going to be a really tough sell in my opinion. I think you'd take a bath on it if you can even find someone to buy it. A bigger truck is probably going to lower your gas mileage as well and it sounds like this is more of a daily driver than a dedicated work truck. For what it's worth I say keep it, especially if you can do the work yourself. I only just got rid of my '01 SCAB V6 F-150 with 193K miles on it.. It was a dog, but a very reliable dog. Make it last!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I was kinda leaning in that direction also. My truck is a standard cab and it is the base model (which i prefer anyways). Thank you for your opinion.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I would keep it. Its paid off and its an easy fix. Swap trans and back to work in a day. I have a 2000 ram1500 and I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon. I rebuilt the front end and rear end. I upgraded to 2500 springs. Trucks great. You should change your rear springs also. Less strain and drag.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply kandalawncaremgr. I am looking to change my rear springs to heavy duty springs when i put new shocks on my truck soon. When you changed your springs, did you get the new ones from dodge? Or did you use an aftermarket brand?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty's lawncare View Post
Thanks for the reply kandalawncaremgr. I am looking to change my rear springs to heavy duty springs when i put new shocks on my truck soon. When you changed your springs, did you get the new ones from dodge? Or did you use an aftermarket brand?
Dam stay away from dealer parts
Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I went to the boneyard and bought them off a ram 2500 for 80 bucks and rock auto for the new u bolts and the bought Gabriel air shocks, all the parts were 165 and change. Under a load it sits level and rides like a dream. I'm gonna add a dump insert this spring. I also haul a 14 foot open trailer. You wont be disappointed. Trust me. Best 165 bucks spent on my truck yet. I also added a 1.5 coil spring leveler to the front. Truck looks great.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

My phone takes crappy pics but here's one
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Just one more thing for an easy transaction on the spring swap. Your gonna need to cut the front leaf spring bolt on the driverside or remove the gas tank. (Easier to cut) and replace. I went to Dodge for that part was a few bucks.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am not familiar with the model of standard tranny in your truck ,but some manual trannies you can just remove the input shaft from the front without any more tear-down ,if thats the bearing your having issues with it might be a cheap and easy fix as it comes out with the shaft .
Last summer I bought two trucks like yours ,v6,cloth seats,roll-up windows ,rubber floor,single cab long box air,auto not manual very good condition and paid $250.00 for one ,$500.00 for the other needing no more than a front brake job on each .I think your value estimate is way out to lunch ,but maybe your area has expensive trucks .

Tags
fix or sell , transmission , truck