Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Picking an Edger

I am looking to purchase a edger for the upcoming season to make my work look better. Currently I have a Echo srm 266 trimmer that I use for both trimming and edging. I am open to any brand give me your edvice on which on I should purchase for the upcoming season.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know the model number, its a few years old but i have a 25cc Redmax stick edge that i love couldnt ask for more.. It shits all over my friends Echo..thats the only two I have used
Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Little wonder makes a nice one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Consider stihl. The 4mix is amazing efficient and powerful....nothing else comes close in my opinion!
Straight shaft for more digging power, curved shaft for higher blade speed. That's what I am told.

Stihl FC90 curved shaft $359 (28.4cc)
Stihl FC95 straight shaft $449 (28.4cc)

Both are considered "commercial grade" and will give you many years of reliable service. I personally use all stihl handtools. They last longer, use less fuel, and have more power than ANY other brand available. The ONLY complaint I have is they are slightly heavier than competitive models. Total cost of ownership in 10 years, you will find stihl beats everything available. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Jimslocallawn
Are you talking a 4 stroke engine or 2 because I have always heard that 2 stroke last longer.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

He is talking about a 4 stroke motor that runs on 2 stroke mixed fuel.

Don't listen to him, Stihl, Husqvarna, Redmax, Tanaka, Shindaiwa and some others are all comparable. Don't buy on brand name. Buy on what your dealer has and will support. Look at what particular model has the best reviews. People get so passionate about the particular brand they use. It turns into a cult following. Look at the parts that make up their engines, and they are all about the same materials.

I myself prefer 2 stroke. I have had problems in the past with those 4mix hybrids from both Stihl and Shindaiwa. But then again, they ALL have went down hill since the EPA started jacking with the regulations. If you could some how magically come across a new old-stock unit that is from the 90s and early 2000s era, that is where the quality is at from all of the brands.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
Consider stihl. The 4mix is amazing efficient and powerful....nothing else comes close in my opinion!
Straight shaft for more digging power, curved shaft for higher blade speed. That's what I am told.

Stihl FC90 curved shaft $359 (28.4cc)
Stihl FC95 straight shaft $449 (28.4cc)

Both are considered "commercial grade" and will give you many years of reliable service. I personally use all stihl handtools. They last longer, use less fuel, and have more power than ANY other brand available. The ONLY complaint I have is they are slightly heavier than competitive models. Total cost of ownership in 10 years, you will find stihl beats everything available. Just my 2 cents.
You left out Stihl's second straight shaft edger, the FC110. At 31.4cc it's Stihl's strongest edger, I loved mine, but eventually stepped up to a KM 130 R Kombi system with the straight shaft edger attachment.

To the OP, check out Stihl's edgers as well as what Redmax has to offer. I'd skip Echo all together.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some Home Depots carry an Echo dedicated edger (not the PAS system.) Anyways, I've used this for a while and it works really well.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Be extra careful around sprinkler heads adjacent to concrete.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your info Im going to go to the stihl dealer near by to see what they have.

Tags
echo , edger , shindaiwa , stihl , trimmer