Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
Did you talk to the workers? I mean do you speak spanish.
I guess I was just trying to accept what the man said at face value...you know, old school "man's word."

But good point...could be true, could be false.

No, I do not speak conversational Spanish.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
I guess I was just trying to accept what the man said at face value...you know, old school "man's word."

But good point...could be true, could be false.

No, I do not speak conversational Spanish.
I look at this way. Hes in a warm climate. Doesnt have to worry about snow. Geared his whole business towards small yards. You have to prepay. No money chasing. Eliminated traveling for quotes. Paying in piece work motivates his guys to move. They also mow around poop and objects.

This guy cant do large commercial accounts. You can pick up 15-20 large accounts and out earn this guy.

Despite these low prices. If you fill out the quote form, youll find out hes still charging more then the OP.

South Eastern Connecticut Pressure Washing

South Eastern Connecticut Spring and Fall Clean Up

52" Brutus/52" Super Surfer/44" Pro Line/60" ZMaster
EB630/EB802/EBZ7150/EBZ8000/BR400/Billy Goat 8Hp
2 FS55/FS90/FC95/2 KM90/L322/L326/TR2350S
HC150/HC155/CHTZ2460
00/04 silverado 8ft Fisher/F250 01 9.5v Fisher/
CASE 1816/CASE 1845/
Old 02-06-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranus View Post
Or, the people who think that way are cheap.

Anyone remember back in the day when Bobby G would have put a shovel in the OP's head.

STOP WORKING FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd love to see someone even come at me with a shovel because it wouldn't end good for them. Your all missing the point. Every area has its market and even within that market the prices vary. I was out marketing today and a lot of the places I marketed had fliers already out from other lawn guys and you'd be surprised. $30 is pretty good if you ask me compared to $15, $20 I saw on a lot of fliers from lawn guys.

On another topic even after figuring out my true operating cost (taxes, insurance, maintenance, fuel, etc...) I'm still making enough to pay my bills and have money left over to blow on what ever or put in my savings account. You must be crazy to think that $36,000 gross income for 6 months is bad money. Most people will never make that in their life with the current economy. Call me a low baller but my quality of work is just as good or better than a lot of guys and I know my stuff when it comes to lawn care. When a lawn takes 15-20 minutes I just don't see charging $45-$50. Also not everyone wants to grow some huge business and have to deal with managing employee's.

Last edited by smallstripesnc; 02-06-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
I look at this way. Hes in a warm climate. Doesnt have to worry about snow. Geared his whole business towards small yards. You have to prepay. No money chasing. Eliminated traveling for quotes. Paying in piece work motivates his guys to move. They also mow around poop and objects.

This guy cant do large commercial accounts. You can pick up 15-20 large accounts and out earn this guy.

Despite these low prices. If you fill out the quote form, youll find out hes still charging more then the OP.
I agree with a lot, if not most of what you said...except for out-earning him with 15-20 commercial accounts...they'd have to be huge!

This guy was netting over 300K with 2K accounts. He's doubled or tripled that.

Anyways...we're getting off the point of the thread, very interesting though.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
I'd love to see someone even come at me with a shovel because it wouldn't end good for them. Your all missing the point. Every area has its market and even within that market the prices vary. I was out marketing today and a lot of the places I marketed had fliers already out from other lawn guys and you'd be surprised. $30 is pretty good if you ask me compared to $15, $20 I saw on a lot of fliers from lawn guys.

On another topic even after figuring out my true operating cost (taxes, insurance, maintenance, fuel, etc...) I'm still making enough to pay my bills and have money left over to blow on what ever or put in my savings account. You must be crazy to think that $36,000 gross income for 6 months is bad money. Most people will never make that in their life with the current economy. Call me a low baller but my quality of work is just as good or better than a lot of guys and I know my stuff when it comes to lawn care. When a lawn takes 15-20 minutes I just don't see charging $45-$50. Also not everyone wants to grow some huge business and have to deal with managing employee's.
Most people will never gross more than 36k in a lifetime?! The average income in New Hampshire is right around 50,000. Nation average is right around 46k... If you do nothing but live off the government you will make more than 36k in a lifetime

No disrespect meant though, I understand a lot of what you are saying, but at those prices and the quantity that you do it does not make it worth it like that other company you keep mentioning..

If you did want to add that employee it may make it worth it to just go up by like 5 dollars per lawn, in all reality it is not that much per lawn but it will add a good amount come the end of the week and make it so you will make more money if you added a few lawns, added an employee, and then just had every lawn 5 dollars more. Especially if you really do get that many calls about new lawns if a couple drop you you can easily add more
2002 F250 supercab 5.4
2005 Exmark 52" Lazer Z HP
2013 Gravely Pro-Turn 460
2004 Exmark Metro 48" Walkbehind
redmax and Husky blowers and trimmers
1990 John Deere small tractor
2012 8.5x18 with a 3' V Enclosed trailer

Last edited by JDGlandscape; 02-06-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree with a lot, if not most of what you said...except for out-earning him with 15-20 commercial accounts...they'd have to be huge!

This guy was netting over 300K with 2K accounts. He's doubled or tripled that.

Anyways...we're getting off the point of the thread, very interesting though.
Thats a lot of work to net 300k. Do you have any idea the planning that would go into servicing 2000 accounts?

I say work smarter not harder. We have several multi million dollar companies around here that dont even have 500 accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Thats a lot of work to net 300k. Do you have any idea the planning that would go into servicing 2000 accounts?

I say work smarter not harder. We have several multi million dollar companies around here that dont even have 500 accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
I believe you do, and that's good.

But this guy justmowing.com is the epitome of "work smarter not harder." He took a "lawn mowing" company and turned it into a business.

I agree with you, 2K accounts would take a lot of work, but he has systems built in place that make the process much smoother. And, he does no labor, other than some office work. Which I'm sure he's hired for that as well.

That is "work smarter not harder."
Old 02-06-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I believe you do, and that's good.

But this guy justmowing.com is the epitome of "work smarter not harder." He took a "lawn mowing" company and turned it into a business.

I agree with you, 2K accounts would take a lot of work, but he has systems built in place that make the process much smoother. And, he does no labor, other than some office work. Which I'm sure he's hired for that as well.

That is "work smarter not harder."
My point is he could make the same amount of money with 300 accounts and still sit at a desk.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
My point is he could make the same amount of money with 300 accounts and still sit at a desk.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sure could...no doubt about that. Only problem with accounts that large is that if you lose one that's a huge percentage of your gross sales. Whereas with a lot of residentials/smaller accounts, if you lose a few of them, no big deal.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why is everybody slamming this guy? He told you he is making an acceptable wage. I also agree the economy is in trouble and I personally sent "thank you" letters to each of my customers last year! The loyalty is in the almighty dollar today. Truth of the matter is nowadays everybody and their brother cuts grass on the side... market is flooded! The true success story is those making a "acceptable livable wage".

Funny story - last year I spent a small fortune advertising quality service, fixing the errors of the part time guy, etc. Hardly got anything out of it! So I advertised prices STARTING at $25 and landed a lot of higher paying accounts. Tells me everything I need to know about the current economy and why the op is doing so well. Bravo sir!