Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

protective clothing

Anyone want to share what they use for protective clothing. I was looking for a good disposable coverall but there are so many to choose from. I wanted to see if anyone has used one they like.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Im not a fan of disposable coverals. Too hot for me. I usually just wear long sleeves, long pants, and rubber boots; unless the label requires otherise. If I am going to be spraying something where I might get hit with drift, I might put on a reqular cotton coveral over my work clothes.

I rarely spray over my head as I dont spray any trees. Also most of what I spray are caution pesticides so they only require long sleeves, pants, and shoes plus socks.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I normally wear regular coveralls over my normal work uniform, rubber boots, and 2 pair of rubber gloves (nitrile gloves with dishwasher gloves over them).
Old 02-08-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman gus View Post
I normally wear regular coveralls over my normal work uniform, rubber boots, and 2 pair of rubber gloves (nitrile gloves with dishwasher gloves over them).
Are you serious?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like them tyvek outfits, great for weight loss.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone shows up in my neighborhood to spray in Tyveks and full respiratory/face protection, I am calling the DOA Pesticides Division. That is label mandated PPE for toxicity Category II products. None of which are allowed in residential areas.

Seriously, I have not had a problem with label mandated PPE for residential lawn/landscape chemicals consisting of long sleeves, pants, waterproof boots and chemical resistant gloves. I have seen too many guys spraying in a T shirt, board shorts and leather lace up shoes. Fine work wear if they a carpenter or mason not on an OSHA regulated construction site, none of my business. But if they are spraying, not ok. You see, this is how chemicals get banned or restricted. Enough people are sloppy in their handling and they end up with leukemia or Hodgkin's. This is why 2,4-D is always in the cross hairs. People mixing the tank by sticking their arm in it or wearing leather shoes soaked in it. Leaking hand pieces dripping the spray on their hands. Not using a waterproof apron when loading or cleaning out a spray tank. That is what the EPA and the state pesticide agencies call dermal exposure.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-09-2013, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Member

been wearing regular workboots with rubber pull over boots, but looking to find something better to wear.
Does anyone buy good footwear online ?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the disposable coveralls are a good idea. You don't have to wash everything separate and no worries about contaminating family laundry.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm in the same boat. Just starting out and wondering about the thin coveralls as well. I had a friend recommend these chaps from Gempler's.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/G102...g-Safety-Chaps

I'm fine with the long pants, long sleeve shirt and nitrile gloves but still worry about contaminating my washer and dryer.

On rubber boots I got a decent pair from Tractor Supply and then bought a really nice pair of Dr. Scholls inserts. Very comfortable and protected for $35. total.

I still like the idea of the coveralls to cover my clothes but I do NOT want to be sopping wet in sweat all day!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you guys are going way over board but if it makes you feel better then It's cool.

At best I wear rubber over shoes, and the occasional rubber glove. I do wear work gloves regularly and prescription sun glasses. When I spray trees I wear a hat...sometimes. I am generally in long sleeve shirts.

I like to wear disposable vinyl gloves when swapping nozzles, cleaning screens or doing stuff like that.

I pay extraordinary attention to making sure all my equipment is clean and not leaking and I am careful in what I do, but I certainly don't turn into bubble boy to spray some pests.