Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-29-2012, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Question Help Buying a Commercial Walk-Behind

Hey everybody. I'm at the point where I need to invest in a big mower. Up to today I've been using two small push mowers for all my properties.

Many of my properties have hills, and most are smaller so I'm thinking that I would benefit most from a commercial walk-behind mower, around a 32".

I will need the mower for about three years, to get me through graduate school. At that point I'll start up a small software company, and keep mowing a few properties. I'll most likely sell the big mower and use a small one for the properties I keep. So I need it to go strong for those three years. I'll be busy, and don't want another headache of a broken mower.

I have $2,000 to $3,000 to spend on the mower.

I'll be mowing 40-60 properties on a weekly/bi-weekly basis, and the mowing season is long here in Waco, TX (March-December this year). I need this mower to be my work horse. Dependable, efficient, and with an exceptionally smoothe cut.

I don't know how to maintain these bigger mowers, so dealership support is important. I think Waco has good support for the main brands. SCAG has great dealership support here.

Do you guys have any suggestions on Brands of mower?
Is there anything else I need to factor in?
Should I go for a mower that I can get a three year warranty on to ensure that it lasts through the three years that I need it?

Any advice on these brands:
SCAG
TORO
ExMark
Bob-Cat
Lesco
Gravely

I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

-Garrett
Old 02-06-2013, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Well no one ha responded so I will! 2-3k is plenty to work with. Depending on the size of your accounts you could even get a 48"-52". You can find a ton of used mowers on the market. Criagslist and what not. What to look for in my opinion: an hour meter, hp of the engine compared to the size of the mower. 36" should be at least 15hp IMO. I only run scag and they are true to their name, they are tough. Although there are a lot of mowers that are just as good. Pick one you personally like, one that dealerships can help you with and don't worry about all the garbage some people say on here about the so called "perfect mower"
Get what fits you best.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2013, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the one who offers the best dealer support. Last year I bought a $4000 tractor and the first time something happened they wouldn't service it! What a nightmare!!! Down for 3 weeks till a local family dealer helped me out.

Its been said thousands of times before... a great dealer behind you is priceless!!! I'd much rather take a sub-par machine with a great dealer over a sub-par dealer with a great machine! All machines will break down...but a great dealer will keep you mowing! Good luck!

Tags
buying a mower , commercial mower , mower , walk behind , walk behind mower