Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2013, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yet Another "Recomend Me a Good Walk Behind" Thread

I am picking up a Toro T2 Hydro 48 soon, placing the order for it this Friday. I was VERY close to getting the Gravely, and contemplated the Turf Tracer, but after taking a look at the Toro I was hooked. My only issue is that they only make it in a 48 and a 52, the 36 is no longer available, and I think a 36 would be great on smaller properties.

The 48 Hydro will be a good core unit for medium size properties, hills, and a good stater mower for me. I hope that in a couple of years I can get a 52 or 60 inch Grand Stand as well.

My issue is I have only tried 48 and 52 inch Toros, Exmarks and Gravely walk behinds, and I am debating on getting a 36 incher for my smaller properties once I save up enough money. Does any one recommend a good hydro drive, floating deck 36 inch walk behind? I am looking at the Scag Pro V as an option, as well as the Exmark Turf Tracer 36 and the Gravely Hydro 36. I have never tried a Pro V either, but they are less than 5k right now and I hear mixed things about them although a local LCO has one and he says it is a great unit, but what do you all think?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There are two walkbehinds Im interested in. The new Scag that has been rumored for several years now and the Gravely Pro-Steer. Both have great decks and I know the Gravely has the floating deck, we will see on the Scag.

Toro makes great machines as well. I dont know how the turbo force deck is?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would love to have a 36" Exmark Turf Tracer. But, for how much I use a 36", spending 6k is not going to happen. I tell you what, my 36" Encore is 20 years old. Lasted me really good. I'm about to buy another one and they are only about $3400-3500.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

anything exmark or bobcat
Old 02-06-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Encore was bought out by WorldLawn last time I checked, right?

They still look like great machines for the price!

Personally I feel toro / exmark are way overpriced! They are probably the best machine you can get your hands on!
Look at Encore, Wright, Scag, etc. All great machines but buy the one with the best dealer support.

Last year I bought a $4,000 tractor and the place I got it from wouldn't service it! What a nightmare! Was down for 3 weeks and finally a local family dealer fixed it for me. Go with who will provide prompt service, that's worth more than anything IMO. In my area we have a dealer that gives "loaner equipment" till its fixed....service like that is priceless!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
Encore was bought out by WorldLawn last time I checked, right?

They still look like great machines for the price!

Personally I feel toro / exmark are way overpriced! They are probably the best machine you can get your hands on!
Look at Encore, Wright, Scag, etc. All great machines but buy the one with the best dealer support.

Last year I bought a $4,000 tractor and the place I got it from wouldn't service it! What a nightmare! Was down for 3 weeks and finally a local family dealer fixed it for me. Go with who will provide prompt service, that's worth more than anything IMO. In my area we have a dealer that gives "loaner equipment" till its fixed....service like that is priceless!
What tractor did you buy and why wouldn't the seller service it? I hate to hear stories like this, hopefully it has a good ending.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 02-07-2013, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Husqvarna. Idler pulley bracket snapped after 2 months of use. Very inexpensive fix but they said I had to abuse the machine for it to break. I called Husky - told them the situation... they sent me to a local shop where they diagnosed it as a manufacture defect and fixed it no problem!

Its been a beast of a machine, at 600 pounds it was lighter than the competitive models, I just got a lemon. I can't complain about the brand because Husqvarna went out of there way to make me happy...just the shady dealer who took my money.

Last year that tractor paid for itself (and it doesn't get used much). I am happy with the product, just not the dealer I bought it off of.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Church 2224 did you ever get the toro t2 hydro walk behind and how do u like it
Old 08-27-2014, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No I actually got a Turf Tracer instead. I went into my dealer and I talked to my sales guy and he recommended the Turf Tracer 48, it was cheaper too. I love that thing.
2013 Exmark Commercial 21 X Series Kawasaki BBC
2012 Exmark Commercial 21 S Series
2013 Echo PAS-280
2013 Echo PB-770T
Old 08-28-2014, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

What horsepower did u get on the turf tracer