Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How many miles are to many?

I am looking to replace my 2002 2500hd 6.0 with a diesel as a daily driver and as a second work truck.

But I am not looking to drop tons of money on a new truck..

So the trucks I've been looking at have had anywhere from 110,000-250,000 miles.

My question is, how many miles are to many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you sure thats a good idea? These trucks with those kind of miles seem like its 1500 at a min. every time you have a problem. Just like equipment especially when they get up there in miles the way there taken care of matters more than the number of miles. Depending on the year and make there are things to look at as the miles get higher. Using a diesel as a daily driver really is not a good use of money when your getting started, but good luck with the search.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
Are you sure thats a good idea? These trucks with those kind of miles seem like its 1500 at a min. every time you have a problem. Just like equipment especially when they get up there in miles the way there taken care of matters more than the number of miles. Depending on the year and make there are things to look at as the miles get higher. Using a diesel as a daily driver really is not a good use of money when your getting started, but good luck with the search.
It's hard to talk the young guy's out of diesel's nowadays. When I was younger it was fast cars, now the young kids want to "roll coal" Can't say I blame them these modern diesels are amazing. My nephew bought a newer Duramax... not a pot to piss in or a thing to pull, but he had to have it. Problem is when they break...It hurts.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM View Post
It's hard to talk the young guy's out of diesel's nowadays. When I was younger it was fast cars, now the young kids want to "roll coal" Can't say I blame them these modern diesels are amazing. My nephew bought a newer Duramax... not a pot to piss in or a thing to pull, but he had to have it. Problem is when they break...It hurts.
Yea me too. I know the CDI factor is high but dam they are not cheap to keep on the road once things break................and they will, no matter what brand.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends on how it was maintained and who drove it, problem with used diesels is a lot of people add tons of extra power with programmers and drive them like they stole them. This usually results in trannys not holding up, head studs getting stretched , truck being driven with high egts for long periods of time etc

If you can find a well maintained trick ( with service records) that had a responsible owner ( not a young guy or ex company triuck) you should be fine with that mileage
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

New truck 50k............ Good used truck 12k. That is alot of money for repairs.

I would ignore mileage and look at what the truck was used for and who owned it. Loaded out duallys make the best work trucks because the owners rarely ever use them for anything but towing there 4 wheeler. Stay away from stripped down work trucks unless the history can be verified. Stay under 200k miles.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I bought my truck with 180k on it, I am now at 212k, Havnt had to do anything so far, and its only been oil changes. And thats a 6.0 gas, A diesel should be going 250,000 easily IMHO

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 02-07-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why not get a 550 or Low Pro type dump for pulling? Is a second pickup that valuable? Just another idea for you.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am looking for a diesel because I need a truck to move the equipment around. The 6.0 just isnt getting it anymore and I am looking at $1,400 for another motor.. Before I have it installed or install it myself.

I am tossing the idea of a single axle dump or 450/550 around. I found a 450 flat bed with toolboxes and gooseneck hitch for reasonable.. but its a 6.0. A risk I really dont wanna take.

Quote:

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/3582875664.html

really interested in this truck, but the miles are what worry me..

Quote: