Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
If we get what they're forcasting you're gonna have a REALLY long weekend. I've got new snows going on the truck tomorrow and chains at the ready.
I think all of us in the NE are going to have a long weekend
Old 02-07-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yup! I've been through this a number of times and it's a lot easier now that I have a V plow. They really shine for the big storms.

I've been contemplating getting new tires on my truck all winter and at this point don't really have a choice. The all-season tires that are on it are fine for everything but plowing heavy wet snow. I've got a set of Artic Claws going on it at noon. This will be the first time I've gone for dedicated snow tires. I'm tired of being in the situation of either replacing my all-terrains before they're worn out or slipping and sliding. The Artic Claws are made by Cooper and are what my tire dealer has on all of his vehicles...that's a good enough endorsement for me.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Checking all Snow equipment today. Making sure all trucks and skid steers are fueled and leaving backup fuel containers with machines. It's going to be a long and stressful 2 days. Best of luck to everyone in the NE getting hit by this storm. We here are expected to get 24 inches with gusts close to 50 miles per hour.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No, I don't.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

just put this on craigslist

Do not call me Saturday expecting me to clear your driveway. It will take me about 12 hours to get to you, if not more. As a snow removal contractor I have responsibility to my customers who were smart enough to arrange for plowing in advance.

If you expect me to drop everything I'm doing, to go plow 18" out of your driveway, I will think you're a 12 year old prank calling.

You might not like what I'm saying. In that case you can call a hack to plow for beer money. He'll show up and plow your unmarked drive right into your garage. If he even has a truck.

Good Luck.

South Eastern Connecticut Pressure Washing

South Eastern Connecticut Spring and Fall Clean Up

52" Brutus/52" Super Surfer/44" Pro Line/60" ZMaster
EB630/EB802/EBZ7150/EBZ8000/BR400/Billy Goat 8Hp
2 FS55/FS90/FC95/2 KM90/L322/L326/TR2350S
HC150/HC155/CHTZ2460
00/04 silverado 8ft Fisher/F250 01 9.5v Fisher/
CASE 1816/CASE 1845/
Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
just put this on craigslist

Do not call me Saturday expecting me to clear your driveway. It will take me about 12 hours to get to you, if not more. As a snow removal contractor I have responsibility to my customers who were smart enough to arrange for plowing in advance.

If you expect me to drop everything I'm doing, to go plow 18" out of your driveway, I will think you're a 12 year old prank calling.

You might not like what I'm saying. In that case you can call a hack to plow for beer money. He'll show up and plow your unmarked drive right into your garage. If he even has a truck.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the reminder. I should probably edit the ad I have there or delete it entirely.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I should probably edit the ad I have there or delete it entirely.
i stopped advertising for snow in 2012, then i was given another 5 accounts, but they can all be done a day later so its fine. I'm actually calling all my customers today and tomorrow and telling them if there is 2 feet and they don't want to pay for me to show up twice it will be a 100 dollar charge, if they don't like it then they can try and find someone else. if they do end up paying for me to show up twice it will be over over 100 anyways. either way, no reason I shouldn't make 3000-4000 from a storm this size if i don't i'm cheating myself out of money. quite a few customers called already and said to come twice, once friday night then saturday morning but route takes so long not sure how well that plan will work....I am however buying another truck tonight. no rust f350 351w new manifolds, new front end parts, new steering box, new tires, newer plow no rust, clean interior and clean body no dents for 2500 so i may try and register that tomorrow and use it for this storm and sell it for double because it's worth close to 5,000 all day long.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

With the predicted amounts that's still 8-12 inces per push. I used to plow my driveways every 6", anything more than that and you're beating you're truck for no reason.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
i stopped advertising for snow in 2012, then i was given another 5 accounts, but they can all be done a day later so its fine. I'm actually calling all my customers today and tomorrow and telling them if there is 2 feet and they don't want to pay for me to show up twice it will be a 100 dollar charge, if they don't like it then they can try and find someone else. if they do end up paying for me to show up twice it will be over over 100 anyways. either way, no reason I shouldn't make 3000-4000 from a storm this size if i don't i'm cheating myself out of money. quite a few customers called already and said to come twice, once friday night then saturday morning but route takes so long not sure how well that plan will work....I am however buying another truck tonight. no rust f350 351w new manifolds, new front end parts, new steering box, new tires, newer plow no rust, clean interior and clean body no dents for 2500 so i may try and register that tomorrow and use it for this storm and sell it for double because it's worth close to 5,000 all day long.
you would only show up twice on 2 foot storm?

I've never had a 2 foot storm so I can't really speak from experience but I know I make 2 visits on a 6-8 inch storm. I would think 3 visits at least on a 2 footer.

I won't push more than 4 inches of snow at a time if I don't have to. now maybe I would have to with a 2 footer because maybe I couldn't make it around to clients like that. I don't know that's why I'm kind of asking. would have thought more than 2 visits.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I plow mainly customers i mow for though don't go after lots of additional accounts. I send two guys out with snowblowers to do my walks and at 6 o'clock they head of to residentials. Have another two on standby started doing this after the big storm we got here just before xmas. THey come in at 6 and finish up any walks that need done and then go relieve the guys do my residentials. Cant keep shovelers out for as many hours as we can sit in trucks it seems. But good luck to you guys this weekend be safe and stay smart throughout the weekend.