Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-07-2013, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I probably would have done what they do in the dirty south....put her invoice on a brick with a rubber band and throw it through her plate glass bay window! booyah
Old 02-07-2013, 03:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have some snow here. Not a ton. My customers must call me and I have a three hour window to get there after their call. And I don't start till it stops snowing. I also have a rubber cutting edge on my plow and it makes it very quiet for plowing. That guy was just a damn jerk. You did the right thing. On HOA contracts I state that I only communicate with the President and the Accountant. I try to avoid idiots every chance I get.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

What the **** is wrong with people?

I had a similar situation this summer while mowing a commercial parking lot owned by the bar across the street. The woman has always been nice to me, paid on time, etc

I get there and notice the grass has been mowed by a 21 inch mower at some point within the past week but I have an agreement to mow it and I'm there so I buzz it over with my zero turn...as I'm about 1/3 of the way done some fat sweaty scumbag walks out of the kitchen yelling and cursing, I turn off the pto and throttle her down. The classy gentlemen explained "I mowed this for her (the owner) the other day, she's F***ing done with you!" I said "well, you missed a few spots and noone called me to cancel...He kept yelling and I loaded up the ZTR and was out before I could lose my temper. Had me furious all day. I heard later she was having big money issues and cutting back all her staff, doing sketchy things.. no excuse for being a A-hole.

Sorry to hear other people are dealing with this crap.

I didn't bill her simply because I never wanted to hear from anyone from that establishment ever again. Needless to say my friends and family won't be patronizing that place anymore..

But you should definitely bill that woman, with an explanation. I hate hearing about small business owners screwing other small business owners. You'd think they'd get it.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
Im with ya. Dont even sweat it. I steer clear of those types of people. Not worth your time. There are better people to get as clients.
I scheduled a pinestraw install with a retiree that called skeptically. He had 20 questions as to why he got an operator in Tennessee when I'm supposed to be located here in Central Florida & on & on. He followed up with, "well I'm gonna have to think about it."
Later that day he called back to schedule.
Work day comes & I knock to give him an estimate of my own. He walked me all around his homes perimeter & pointed to all the areas he wanted covered. Making our way back out front I suggested we'd be closer to 20 bales rather than his estimated 6. My guys are setting up & poised to get started. I told them lets only spread six bales and stop. Then he starts to say how he wasn't planning on spending a whole lot of money to do this. I replied that I never like having my hands tied away from being able to do a good job. I now back at the truck & tell the guys to load everything up 'cause we are leaving. They look at me like, really? I give a little wink & smerk to one as I'm closing the trucks back doors. As I start the blower to make sure the road is perfectly clean the customer says, "what are ya doin'"? I suggested I'm just wanting to tidy things up for a moment. I tell the guys, lets go, load up. He's just staring at us getting in the truck & I say, have a great day Mr. Penny (I guess last names might really mean something) and off we go. Man that was just awesome & I felt entirely liberated while thinking, yes this is what self-employment feels like & now on to yet another job.