Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
You're right that this prodeuct isn't new -- it's been used in cereal crops for years and it's been registered on turf in Japan and China for many years. Dow explored its use in the US turf market in the mid 90s, but dropped it because it wasn't as effective as Confront.

I did some of the early experimental work with this compound in 1992-1996, then again over the last couple of years. The only thing that makes this different from your regular 3-way products is reduction of dandelion bloom. It won't kill dandelions, but it can keep them from blooming. You can use a 3-way without Defendor, but you can't use Defendor without a 3-way added in or applied later.

Dow is positioning this as an application to be done 2 weeks before your normal first 3-way app.

I along with about 8 others were invited to DOW in December for two days to discuss this product, their testing results and what we thought about the product and where pricing should be at.

It was a great experience to learn about this product but what impressed me most was the people there and how awesome DOW is!!!

Straight from DOW...this product is to be used early with Dimension ONLY. That is why it is being sold in a combination pack.
If it is used alone WITHOUT Dimension the efficacy of the product isn't as good.

Product also works better in the 30-40 degree weather then 50-60 degree weather. My rep even said that once it warms up you would be better to leave the Defendor OUT and switch to Three Way. The earlier the better for Defendor.

They never mentioned combining Defendor with Three Way at all. It would technically be different chemistry with redundant results and an added cost.

In my opinion you would be much better off to heat up your Three Way with Quicksilver if you are trying to heat it up.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
I along with about 8 others were invited to DOW in December for two days to discuss this product, their testing results and what we thought about the product and where pricing should be at.

It was a great experience to learn about this product but what impressed me most was the people there and how awesome DOW is!!!

Straight from DOW...this product is to be used early with Dimension ONLY. That is why it is being sold in a combination pack.
If it is used alone WITHOUT Dimension the efficacy of the product isn't as good.

Product also works better in the 30-40 degree weather then 50-60 degree weather. My rep even said that once it warms up you would be better to leave the Defendor OUT and switch to Three Way. The earlier the better for Defendor.

They never mentioned combining Defendor with Three Way at all. It would technically be different chemistry with redundant results and an added cost.

In my opinion you would be much better off to heat up your Three Way with Quicksilver if you are trying to heat it up.

Thank you very much for that report.

I thought it might be something that would work out great for me but I guess it does not fit the bill for my needs.

When I start my first round in late Feb the temp will be between 50-70 and only goes up from there.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

nice talking to you rod, i looked into this product and yes it gets dandelions and chickweed...but on our first round we have a huge problem with henbit, hairy bittercress, and speedwell...these are not on the label.....did you say the price was $5 to $6 per acre? may stick with 3 way/quicksilver and wait to hear more.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper44 View Post
nice talking to you rod, i looked into this product and yes it gets dandelions and chickweed...but on our first round we have a huge problem with henbit, hairy bittercress, and speedwell...these are not on the label.....did you say the price was $5 to $6 per acre? may stick with 3 way/quicksilver and wait to hear more.
Good talking to you too!

I specifically asked them about Henbit and it doesn't have much activity on them. There are a few weeds that it does well on that are not on the label.

I was very impressed with what it does to chickweed though! It grows way to fast for us to wait and get on round 2.

Will keep you all posted.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

sounds like a no thanks to me
Old 02-08-2013, 02:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The only advantage I can think of is that it is cheaper than Gallery. Otherwise, no economy in a herbicide that does not stop a wide variety of broadleaves or last very long. Dow says florasulam has a soil half life of 14 days. Isoxaben has a half life of 100 days or at least 1/3 of the growing season for me or all season for most people on the continent.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-08-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hear what you are saying but I guess we are looking at it to delay calls and buy us time before round 2.

$5 an acre is money...but our guess is it will be more then worth it. If it didn't keep dandelions from blooming and lay out chickweed, then I wouldn't even think about it.

But these are two of our biggest issues come spring.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
Depending on your supplier I would say somewhere between $5-6 an acre.

I feel using it along the edges is where we are going to benefit the most.

That is typically where the thinnest areas are, hence more winter annuals and perennial weeds. At the same time we are going to be applying liquid Dimension.
Are you going to be spraying your dimension and defendor out of your ground logic units, or is this only a backpack/spot spray treatment?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
sounds like a no thanks to me
Same here, we don't have problems with dandies down here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2013, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieperlc View Post
Are you going to be spraying your dimension and defendor out of your ground logic units, or is this only a backpack/spot spray treatment?
Posted via Mobile Device
We will be doing both.

I am not saying this is for everyone!

And the jury is still out weather it will be worth it...but right now we are very excited about it!