Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2013, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
That is one of my pet peeves. When zoysia or bermuda is mowed high it gets thatchy or fluffy, then someone trying to push PC lawn care says "you are fertilizing too much." True, if you starve zoysia, it survives and does not grow more than an inch or two in 12 months. However that lawn is also the color of straw most of the time. I do not get paid to make a client's lawn to look like straw. I give a lawn enough N to maintain color and density and insist it is mowed correctly. The way most fine lawns in Hawaii ended up being zoysia is in the 1990's most of the bermuda developed Take all patch. Homeowners were forced to resod. I think hybrid bermuda is one of the most disease susceptible grasses. If it is not Take all, it is dollar spot or leaf spot infecting it.

I spray liquid fertilizer through my boom all the time. That stuff is corrosive. I think a bare ground mix cannot nearly be as bad. Note the threaded caps on the end. That way, I can flush out the boom completely. I remove the caps, push water through, then remove nozzles and screens to clean those, put water through the nozzle bodies as well. Never had a problem with cross contamination. My bare ground sites are not far from landscaped areas. One of them is in a nursery. I am treating the roads and walk paths going through the nursery. Remember that there is no such thing as a 0-5 MPH wind day here and I do not spray on the rare day it is dead calm due to the danger of vapor damage.
What GPM are you using when you use this boom for the 1/2 N and 1/4 K ?

Been doing my home work.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread
Old 02-08-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post

Been doing my home work.

Calibrations are not in Gallons per minute but number of gallons per 1000sq. ft.
I generally apply 4 gallons of mix/1000sq ft. Select the proper tip to fulfill this at about 60PSIG (FERTILIZE) and higher for your herbicides at the trigger. So 100 gal tank will spray 25,000 square feet of turf with properly weighed fertilize.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Calibrations are not in Gallons per minute but number of gallons per 1000sq. ft.
I generally apply 4 gallons of mix/1000sq ft. Select the proper tip to fulfill this at about 60PSIG (FERTILIZE) and higher for your herbicides at the trigger. So 100 gal tank will spray 25,000 square feet of turf with properly weighed fertilize.
My bad. I went back and got some more coffee
Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stuff Happens, it's winter, minds are coasting...not a problem. T-jet has a very wide variety of Air Induction Tips which have less drift so check those out also. Greendoctor got me on those and they are wonderful. For what it worth, I can walk with a 5' wide boom and cover 1K in 1minute and 35 seconds. Of course that a straight pass without dodging shrubs or flower beds. The good thing about walking booms is that you can be so precise around trees, flowers, etc.
Roy
Old 02-08-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Stuff Happens, it's winter, minds are coasting...not a problem. T-jet has a very wide variety of Air Induction Tips which have less drift so check those out also. Greendoctor got me on those and they are wonderful. For what it worth, I can walk with a 5' wide boom and cover 1K in 1minute and 35 seconds. Of course that a straight pass without dodging shrubs or flower beds. The good thing about walking booms is that you can be so precise around trees, flowers, etc.
Roy
I think that is the way to go with the small lots I deal in. Walking boom and power back pack.
At least for weed control.

I like to see a larger volume of water. Particular since I toasted a few lawns late last season. I am crossing fingers they do come back.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post

Been doing my home work.

I am using at least 2 gallons per 1000 sq ft. On small lawns I rather mix the fertilizer so that 7 gallons in the backpack covers 2000 sq ft. I also short cycle the irrigation following the application. On bigger lawns, I put on nozzles that can drop 5 gallons per 1000 and run from the skid sprayer. With the nozzle body system I use, I am not committed to one volume. That is the wonder of Quick Teejet nozzle bodies.

1/2 lb of N applied at 30 day intervals works just as well for me as 11/2-2 lb of N applied as granules at 60-90 day intervals. Lots of applications per year, yes. However, customers pay monthly and that monthly fee also covers weed control, disease control, and operation-adjustment of their irrigation system.

I have said many times that weed control takes on an entirely different dimension applied through a boom with fan nozzles VS a Chemlawn gun or single adjustable tip on a manual sprayer. There is a difference in product efficacy and safety to turf.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738