Register free!

Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
One would assume that in four years (amounts to 8,000 man hours) one should have a pretty good handle on their trade.
The assumption is, one is being taught the trade properly. In my experience, that is rare.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
if Texas Inspectors are all that, then no real installer experience is required.
In my town there is not a inspector. If someone is not licensed all they had to do was get the homeowner to get the permit.

Starting 2013 they are having a outside inspector come to inspect all new irrigation installs so maybe this will help.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
In my town there is not a inspector. If someone is not licensed all they had to do was get the homeowner to get the permit.

Starting 2013 they are having a outside inspector come to inspect all new irrigation installs so maybe this will help.
coming soon to a trench near you....
Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
The assumption is, one is being taught the trade properly. In my experience, that is rare.
This is exactly what I am talking about in my area. The small amount I have learned from the pre requite course and from reading on here, the more I realize what a crap job is being done around here.

Just a little story from last year. I had a family call and said they thought they had a disease on the grass in the back lawn and that I had been recommended by a friend. I told them it was probably just dry [get a lot of those calls] but they said they a irrigation system installed at the end of 2011. I go by and sure enough it is just dry. I check out the system and the three zones in the back are working and all areas are being hit pretty good. I then start looking at the rotors and all of the are 2.5gpm. They had QT, HT and fulls all on the same zone and all 2.5. I told the homeowners since the system was pretty new that they needed to get the installer to change these out so they would be matched PR. Well, they called the guy and he said that was BS and he had been doing irrigation for X number of years and that I should stick to what I know. Since they did not fully believe me I had them water with their hose and old sprinkler along with a rain gauge, and wouldn't you know it, those areas started greening up and doing good.

I'm sorry, but I do not want this long time irrigator training me or anyone else.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
This is exactly what I am talking about in my area. The small amount I have learned from the pre requite course and from reading on here, the more I realize what a crap job is being done around here.

Just a little story from last year. I had a family call and said they thought they had a disease on the grass in the back lawn and that I had been recommended by a friend. I told them it was probably just dry [get a lot of those calls] but they said they a irrigation system installed at the end of 2011. I go by and sure enough it is just dry. I check out the system and the three zones in the back are working and all areas are being hit pretty good. I then start looking at the rotors and all of the are 2.5gpm. They had QT, HT and fulls all on the same zone and all 2.5. I told the homeowners since the system was pretty new that they needed to get the installer to change these out so they would be matched PR. Well, they called the guy and he said that was BS and he had been doing irrigation for X number of years and that I should stick to what I know. Since they did not fully believe me I had them water with their hose and old sprinkler along with a rain gauge, and wouldn't you know it, those areas started greening up and doing good.

I'm sorry, but I do not want this long time irrigator training me or anyone else.
In cases like this, I just tell the client in detail what is wrong, with data to back it up. They can either choose to fix it or not. If it is someone else's work that should be covered I let them know they should get it fixed by them, or they can skip the hassle and get it done right by me, given the original contractor didn't do it right to begin with.

I have seen far to many "experienced" guys in all trades not know their head from their ass ..... 20 years, 30+ years, matters not. I believe this is caused by several things; never learned to do it right, lack of education needed to understand the experience they are obtaining, or they just don't give a damn. IMO, if you are claiming 20+ years of experience your work should be damn close to perfect 99.9% of the time under scrutiny from the most critical eyes.

Even though I think certifications are a joke as they merely skim over the top of the subject matter, they are better than nothing when you are coming from nothing. In irrigation work, the most difficult areas to learn are the ones that need the most education .... design and management. Installation is something that can be learned properly in a short period of time, providing you know how to do it right to begin with.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The small amount I have learned from the pre requite course and from reading on here, the more I realize what a crap job is being done around here.
Texas does not have the corner on this market, poor workmanship is like a cancer and knows no boundries.

Quote:
Well, they called the guy and he said that was BS and he had been doing irrigation for X number of years and that I should stick to what I know.
X number of years doing something wrong, doesn't make it right.
Quote:
Since they did not fully believe me I had them water with their hose and old sprinkler along with a rain gauge, and wouldn't you know it, those areas started greening up and doing good.

Good call on both lines of thinking.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2013, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I have seen far to many "experienced" guys in all trades not know their head from their ass .....

Experience is up to the individual receiving it... It doesn't amount to a hill of beans if you don't pay attention to what the hell is going on around you.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=holmesgts;4669879]I have seen far to many "experienced" guys in all trades not know their head from their ass .....

Experience is up to the individual receiving it... It doesn't amount to a hill of beans if you don't pay attention to what the hell is going on around you.