Register free!

Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Trying To Get Into Irrigation

I am expanding into irrigation and am aiming at obtaining my irrigation auditor certification in the next two months or so. Is it worth it to take online courses from irrigation.org or should I just order the material and learn on my own? I know everything that there is to know about soil and want to start getting the certifications for irrigation. Please be kind
Old 02-05-2013, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinla45 View Post
I know everything that there is to know about soil
Wow - that's impressive! I have been in this business a while and I don't know everything about soil! Do you have the necessary license(s) to do irrigation? Taking classes (online or otherwise) and getting certifications is always a plus IMO. But you also need practical, on hands experience.

I got my CIC by studying on my own - but it would probably have been easier to take a class. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I did not mean literally I was just asking for help not wanting to be talked down to but thanks for nothing
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You really need to get your irrigator's license (assuming TN has one) or your plumbers license if so required. I looked at it briefly and it looks like TN doesn't have a Irrigators license, so you probably have to have something along the lines of a Plumbing license.
http://www.tn.gov/commerce/
Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinla45 View Post
I am expanding into irrigation and am aiming at obtaining my irrigation auditor certification in the next two months or so. Is it worth it to take online courses from irrigation.org or should I just order the material and learn on my own? I know everything that there is to know about soil and want to start getting the certifications for irrigation. Please be kind

What do you hope to gain from a CIA/CLIA/CGIA/Etc...? Also, never assume you know everything there is to know about soil, you don't.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

A real good way to find out a lot about what you need to know is to look for irrigation supply companies in your area and start asking questions there. I wouldn't do it when their busy but that would be a good starting point. After all they will want your future business. I would try them all and you decide who is the most helpful thats what I did and it worked for me. If you have no idea about irrigation its best to start of small replacing heads, relocating heads, routine inspections, adjustments just don't bite off more than you can chew. As I mentioned irrigation suppliers will be your best friend. I would not turn to the competition for much help.

Last edited by holmesgts; 02-07-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you holmesgts that is solid advice I will get on that immediately
Old 02-08-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I am looking to obtain certification as a landscape irrigation auditor in order to become a watersense partner. Then obtain my CIC and CID. Sorry, it was not a great comment to make I did not mean everything about soil should not have said it.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So is there no irrigation license in TN?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver View Post
So is there no irrigation license in TN?
I don't think so I would have to obtain my plumbing license in order to be insured to install a backflow preventor. It is a little ridiculous if you ask me.