Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Not enough time in the day my brother.
Out of everything I do, residential mowing has the least profit, is seasonal and also depends on the weather.
I gather you are solo then.
I do not think residental is real profitable for me either but it helps round out the guys schedule. I can tuck in house or two along the commerical routes.
And while it not as profitable it does cover OH thus making my other jobs more profitable.

I also pick up some decent side jobs like clean up, bed maintenance, plantings and stuff that can be very profitable.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Higher and residential is where the best money is at. It also often leads to landscape jobs. Everyone has irrigation so the mowing is consistent and the properties often require a lot of winter cleanup upkeep. Mulching alone can often be a $1000 (or more) project. The landscape applications can also be very profitable and add up to be $1000 a year for a decent property. My only advice is stay away from contacts if you can.

I bill almost all my customers monthly for all services rendered. If you do start a contract only do it in the fall from about October thru January. This way your customer will be paid ahead on their contract and you don't get screwed if they cancel.

My luck with most contacts is people expect the world and you will often end up getting screwed. Contracts are a real gamble too much of the time. Out of about 70 properties I only do two contracts.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 02-08-2013, 05:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Higher and residential is where the best money is at. It also often leads to landscape jobs. Everyone has irrigation so the mowing is consistent and the properties often require a lot of winter cleanup upkeep. Mulching alone can often be a $1000 (or more) project. The landscape applications can also be very profitable and add up to be $1000 a year for a decent property. My only advice is stay away from contacts if you can.

I bill almost all my customers monthly for all services rendered. If you do start a contract only do it in the fall from about October thru January. This way your customer will be paid ahead on their contract and you don't get screwed if they cancel.

My luck with most contacts is people expect the world and you will often end up getting screwed. Contracts are a real gamble too much of the time. Out of about 70 properties I only do two contracts.

LOL, else where on lawn site people are pushing contracts. I have mixed feelings on them but actually decided to pursue the contracts.

The reason I decided to do this is one it spells out the terms and gives you a legal leg up to collect late fees and cancellation clauses.

It seems every year a pick up a couple mowing account and things roll around doing well and they just do not pay the last month of service.

I have good clients for sure and many have been with me for years.

This year I am going after service agreements. Many of the clients just want a nice lawn and landscape. We put it under a blanket agreement for beds, shrubs, mulch, mowing, fert, seasonal, flowers and you now have a client generating 140 to 170 a month year round.

That is for the typical postage stamp 1/7 to 1/4 ac lot
Old 02-08-2013, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post
LOL, else where on lawn site people are pushing contracts. I have mixed feelings on them but actually decided to pursue the contracts.

The reason I decided to do this is one it spells out the terms and gives you a legal leg up to collect late fees and cancellation clauses.

It seems every year a pick up a couple mowing account and things roll around doing well and they just do not pay the last month of service.

I have good clients for sure and many have been with me for years.

This year I am going after service agreements. Many of the clients just want a nice lawn and landscape. We put it under a blanket agreement for beds, shrubs, mulch, mowing, fert, seasonal, flowers and you now have a client generating 140 to 170 a month year round.

That is for the typical postage stamp 1/7 to 1/4 ac lot
The benefit to contracts is less billing info to keep up with. The downside is with most contracts it's not worth the time or money to hire an attorney to take someone to court if they owe you money. If they have a much better attorney you could end up being in the hole much more then the value of the money you were hoping to recoup.

I find the type of people who demand a contract tend to be problematic. I have done four residential contracts and three of them were money losers. I have had one HOA contract for about five years.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 02-08-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There has to be a way to collect. Unless they have a reason to cancel they owe the money.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post
I gather you are solo then.
I do not think residental is real profitable for me either but it helps round out the guys schedule. I can tuck in house or two along the commerical routes.
And while it not as profitable it does cover OH thus making my other jobs more profitable.

I also pick up some decent side jobs like clean up, bed maintenance, plantings and stuff that can be very profitable.
I am solo, to a extent, part of the season because my son helps me when he is out of school. This should be his last semester then he should have his associates. I am trying to get him set more into irrigation and he has his irrigation tech license. He was actually supposed to be the one getting the irrigation license, but at that time he had a conflict between his school and the course, so I took the course and received mine.

Trust me, I have tried having employees to the point that is was going to ruin me. At one time I had 3 trucks and with the work force around here that was just a money pit. I am actually the longest full time landscaper in my area [that offers mowing]. There are a couple that just do some part time that might have a couple of years on me. All the other ones try and have employees and last a few years and then sell. One of my buddies just sold his in Dec and another one a few months before that. There is one around here that is in its fourth ownership. Trust me, in this area you are not going to make it running employees on there own.

I am really wanting to phase out most of the mowing and just do pesticide and irrigation work but that keeps getting pushed back. 2011 was a killer.

My town has around 16,000 people and is know for its assisted living housing. Not a very high income area . Our number of HOA's would be zero. Not every area has plenty of people with good paying jobs and disposable income for lawn care, landscaping, irrigation, Christmas lights, ect...

The main reason I am just doing the commercial mowing is because of the year long payments. The only way that changes is if you loose one, and that does not happen very often. Actually I was contacted a couple of months ago from the housing authority hoping I could give them a bid and take over but I do not have the time. If the commercial places want license, insurance, workmans comp, ect..... they pretty much have two choices, call me or call someone from out of town.

Trust me, I would love to have several trucks on the road but unless something changes that is not going to happen for several years.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Many moons ago I made a service call to Gainsville to do some irrigation repair at the Walmart. I suppose you are correct, there is a limit to the labor pool and the clientele.

I was surprised when called me and asked me to travel that far but they paid the travel time from south Dallas county. Almost 4 hours round trip.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post

Totally agree. There are so many extra billables on these properties. Low-working class homes is not where I would want to build a business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sadly, even some people with nice homes are struggling. Loss of jobs and such. I think things are turning around but some people are house rich these days because last 5 years.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm just starting to top dress for the season. My GCWR Friday was 40,152 pounds. Here a link to my thread with the info