Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Scheduling and a Policy

Hello fellow lawnsiters, I have a couple questions I would like to ask and receive feedback/advice on.

1) How do you schedule when it comes to mowing, if it rains on a monday day and you mow 5 days (m-f) of the week, do you push back every yard 1 day? Also if a yard is scheduled for mondays and has to be cut on tuesday due to weather, the next week do you still cut it on monday?

2) Does anybody provide their client with a service policy? I just want them to know all of my policies such as how i will adjust to the weather if needed and other stuff.

Thanks

Last edited by TN_mower; 02-07-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It all varys, some days I have to cut certain houses because thats when the sprinklers are off.

One day isnt so bad, when it rains solid for 3 to 4 days life gets tough.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

1.Well for me, If I get rained out 1 day, then the schedule really gets messed up. I usually start off where I would have started off the day before. So I usually try and be done by friday so the usually 8 hour days turn into 10-12 hour days. I just move through my schedule and usually ignore the usual days as the tuesday-friday(if it rained on monday) Usually still get mowed on their correct days. The first day back is the worst. I just try and get All the the monday ones done and then some of tuesdays, and then the next day all the rest of tuesdays and try and get most of wednesday and so on. This is pretty long but its kind of hard to explain

2. As for policies for weather... I tell people that Rain and such are part of the world we live in, and that there yard will be cut in a timely fashion, but times of mowing and days may change due to rain, and that they shouldnt be contacting me if I am only 1-2 days late. I didnt say anything my first year and if I didnt come on the scheduled day, I would get 12 people calling me all bent out of shape. Just let them knows its a part of life and weather effects your business but they will be serviced in a timely fashion

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 02-07-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response! Very informative and i appreciate the advice. You have really good points and procedures that make sense. Once again, thanks for taking the time to respond to my post!

Any other advice from others is much appreciated.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_mower View Post
1) How do you schedule when it comes to mowing, if it rains on a monday day and you mow 5 days (m-f) of the week, do you push back every yard 1 day? Also if a yard is scheduled for mondays and has to be cut on tuesday due to weather, the next week do you still cut it on monday?
If it rains on Monday, start Mondays work on Tuesday morning and work like crazy to catch up. You should be back to normal by Thursday. And, yes, the next week you start Monday morning with Mondays work.

Also, if you are certain it is going to rain say on Wednesday, do some of Wednesdays work on Tuesday so you don't have so much catch up to do on Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_mower View Post
2) Does anybody provide their client with a service policy? I just want them to know all of my policies such as how i will adjust to the weather if needed and other stuff.
Certainly! Send them a letter with all your policies. If you are a small company, there is no need to sound like a Fortune 500 corporation. Just outline in simple, concise English what they can expect from you in each situation. Good communication leads to reasonable expectations and that will keep your customers very happy.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachysLawn View Post
If it rains on Monday, start Mondays work on Tuesday morning and work like crazy to catch up. You should be back to normal by Thursday. And, yes, the next week you start Monday morning with Mondays work.

Also, if you are certain it is going to rain say on Wednesday, do some of Wednesdays work on Tuesday so you don't have so much catch up to do on Thursday.

Certainly! Send them a letter with all your policies. If you are a small company, there is no need to sound like a Fortune 500 corporation. Just outline in simple, concise English what they can expect from you in each situation. Good communication leads to reasonable expectations and that will keep your customers very happy.
Beachyslawn, thanks for responding! You have great advice as well and will use it in the season ahead. I'm working on a simple policy like you said and is coming along great. THANKS!!
Posted via Mobile Device