Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I checked out his website. Not very impressive. Reviews all over the web not very good either. I wouldnt be surprised to see him selling lawn care books or software to newbies in a couple years.

There is no secret to his success. $23 lawns running as lean as possible with dirt cheap labor. IMO its a lot of hard work for the pay off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I checked out his website. Not very impressive. Reviews all over the web not very good either. I wouldnt be surprised to see him selling lawn care books or software to newbies in a couple years.

There is no secret to his success. $23 lawns running as lean as possible with dirt cheap labor. IMO its a lot of hard work for the pay off.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't think his labor is being paid "dirt." He was paying his lead guy close to $16/hr, that sounds pretty good for a laborer.

Also, his website is not intended to be impressive...I think this guy knows what he's doing.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
I don't think his labor is being paid "dirt." He was paying his lead guy close to $16/hr, that sounds pretty good for a laborer.

Also, his website is not intended to be impressive...I think this guy knows what he's doing.
Then go for it!!! Hang $20 door hangers everywhere and go to town. And if you think 16/hr is good for a lead guy you will make it happen!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Also check out "the lawn care millionaire". He also knows what he is doing and would be more than willing to help. Patrick Cash is another one to check out!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2013, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Then go for it!!! Hang $20 door hangers everywhere and go to town. And if you think 16/hr is good for a lead guy you will make it happen!!
Posted via Mobile Device
I just think he knows what's he doing. $16/hr would be good for an employee.

And yes I've heard of lawncaremillionaire...good advice from him.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
I just think he knows what's he doing. $16/hr would be good for an employee.

And yes I've heard of lawncaremillionaire...good advice from him.
I made $18/hr as a crew leader 20 years ago!! I was being sarcastic about the lawn care millionaire and Patrick Cash. Those guys are a dime a dozen online and prey on newbies.

If you want some real advice hire a business coach or find your local SCORE chapter and get set up with a mentor, its free!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it brings up a good point in that I read post after post where guys new to this business are offering 5+ services. He offers mowing and only mowing.

If I have an irrigation problem, I am calling a dedicated irrigation company. Same with fert, sod, pinestraw. About the only thing I would use a company that cut grass for is hedges and snow.

For business owners, this frees up cash flow, time, headaches, routes, training and many other things.

There is no wrong way to go about what services you provide, but it is something to think about.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I made $18/hr as a crew leader 20 years ago!! I was being sarcastic about the lawn care millionaire and Patrick Cash. Those guys are a dime a dozen online and prey on newbies.

If you want some real advice hire a business coach or find your local SCORE chapter and get set up with a mentor, its free!
Posted via Mobile Device
Well lawncaremillionaire knows what he's doing...he developed service autopilot. Anyways not trying to argue but just mowing knows what he's doing. It works for him and what you do works for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
I think it brings up a good point in that I read post after post where guys new to this business are offering 5+ services. He offers mowing and only mowing.

If I have an irrigation problem, I am calling a dedicated irrigation company. Same with fert, sod, pinestraw. About the only thing I would use a company that cut grass for is hedges and snow.

For business owners, this frees up cash flow, time, headaches, routes, training and many other things.

Great point...people want to hire a master. Not a lack of all trades and a master of none.

There is no wrong way to go about what services you provide, but it is something to think about.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post

Posted via Mobile Device

Great point...people want to hire a professional. Not a jack of all trades but a master of none.
Posted via Mobile Device