Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Its been pretty cold in florida lately...highs only in the 60s...
Its hard to concentrate on work when its that cold...
He's probably waiting for it to warm up to resume his project...
Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I may live in FL now but I grew up in NJ. I shoveled my share of snow and been through many a cold winter. I'll take a high in the 60's in Feb any day!

Got the ebay carb. Used it with a few donations from my carb. The engine now runs fine at both high RPM and idles great. There is no sign of surging and the throttle response is very good. The only observation I will make is that this engine (Kawasaki FH601V) seems to be harder to start when warm (has to crank for a longer time) than I remember my old engine (Kohler CV20S) to be. I have a neighbor who had SCAG with this exact same engine (engine has since been replaced by a newer flavor of KAWI) and I remember when he shut it off and went to restart it cranked for a while. This may just be a characteristic of this engine?? It seems that when hot and cranking if you flip on the choke then cut it off it "coughs" on the off cycle of the choke and starts. Also, I do not have all the air cleaner plastics put back on yet so this could have something to do with it. Anyway, this is just an observation at this point that I might no even bring up except that I was quite fond of my Kohler. Next up: I will change the oil and filter. Then I will re-install the main pulley and the drive belt. The next big goal now that there is a running engine is to get it to move under its own power. When that happens, I'm gonna buy myself a case of coronas. If any of you guys are in SW FL over the next couple of weeks, come get a cold one!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Id have to pass on SW florida

My sister and neice were murdered there
Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear that teckjohn. Much as I like it here, I will be the first to admit there are some parts I avoid whenever possible.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sorry to hear that John.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you guys

It made national news, court tv and every other newspaper and tv station WINK Newspress. One stabbed 22 times the other 25 times and 2 year old left in the door after the murders. http://weloveloriwhitneyjavon.com/ourforum/ is where you can read. Thats where Im an admin on the forum. I bought the Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6 I DO NOT BELIEVE in neice dating the guy... married for a 2 weeks
Old 02-08-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Had a little time to spend on the project tonight so I figured I'd do something easy like square away the air cleaner. That should be easy, right?? When I first got the donor, the air cleaner stuff was not connected and set it aside. Figured when the time came, I'd just hook it all up. Now that I'm trying to that I'm taking a closer look. I realize that the bracket that holds the plastic parts is bent. I put it in a vise and managed to make it usable. It does not sit perfectly but I am able to get it bolted on. The housing itself is hopelessly cracked. I did not notice that originally. I suppose I could try to glue it but I got lucky and found the whole assembly used on ebay for $59 so I ordered it. I'm going to try to get the main pulley on over the weekend.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I have that peice thatis good you can have

If ya want it let me know
Old 02-08-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

2 ways to fix that cracked housing cheap:
1) Take teckjohn up on his offer of the free part (very generous of you, teckjohn)
2)Weld your old one back together using a regular soldering gun. You might not be able to get it totally airtight, but you'd be amazed how well you can solder plastic pieces back together. Just get the tip of the gun hot enough to melt the plastic and start moving it back and forth across the edges of the break until it melts itself back together. Try it.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Teckjohn. Thanks for the offer. I will send you a private message with my address. If you have a paypal account. Please respond with the info and allow me to at least pay the shipping costs. Thanks Again.