Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Floral Mix...

I have a customer who wants to redesign her back yard with a few paver patios and a wide array of flowers and to remove a tree. She wants this set up so she has blooms to look at all year around. Any tips? I went ahead and got her soil sample to da so we will know what were woringk with. However with the first scoop of dirt I got there were earth worms so I dont see there being any problem with her dirt
I am also lookimg for some for some criticizig on my new logo

Thanks!!!
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

The only change I asked him to do was to make the circle into a star around the logopart. hence my company name
Old 02-08-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I apologize for my poor grammar. I've taken my ambien.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what your sun/shade issues are or even the plants available that far South of here... but in any project like this there are a few rudimentary preparations that will help... determine the garden borders and how they'll interact with your patios... the primary viewing area such as driveway or kitchen window for example...
High in the back lower in the front and hardy border plants on the front edge...
Let various nurseries help you pick out the relevant plants, even bulbs, if they'll work there... colorful foliage is also helpful if the flowers are not doing as expected...

How large is this area and how large are the patios going to be???
Old 02-09-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Acid soil is common in the south. Earthworms or not. Ax has good suggestions.
Its tough to get flowers blooming year around. You need irrigaqtion naturally--and no heavy shade.
Spring--start with bulbs you planted last fall. Then rip out bulbs and put in annuals, impatiens zinnias, petunia, so forth. Put in perennials at about the same time as they bloom later in the year--late summer and early fall. Then rip out whatever is there and put in chrysanthemums about 3 weeks before the first frost. Remove the chrysanthemums after a few hard frosts and put in your tulip bulbs for next year. Be sure to use a few spring flowering shrubs, roses and Rhodys.
Or...use containers and just put in new flowers in big pots every few weeks. You need a drip irrigation system for the containers, of course.
Find a good greenhouse to make sure they will have what you need, and that it is in bloom when you install it at the site.