Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest taking a look at the Takeuchi TB180FR. Much easier to load trucks with, incredible lifting ability and Takeuchi dependability. I just received my 3rd TB153FR.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdigger View Post
John deere machine is too wide for what i want, kubota is the narrowest of the three which is a big thing as my work is all residential, so i need to get these machines into backyards.
I dont think there is any Komatsu dealers around, so they are out.
Starting to think kubota is the way to go...
if that is what your worried about you also have to remember that the kubota has a huge tail swing compared to others, that makes a huge difference
Old 02-07-2013, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodirtinc View Post
if that is what your worried about you also have to remember that the kubota has a huge tail swing compared to others, that makes a huge difference
The Kubota does have more tail swing. The size difference from 6 ton Kubota to a KX-080 is a bunch so I cannot think why someone would need this size excavator for doing the kind of work where a tail swing would be an issue.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
The Kubota does have more tail swing. The size difference from 6 ton Kubota to a KX-080 is a bunch so I cannot think why someone would need this size excavator for doing the kind of work where a tail swing would be an issue.
I didn't read anything about a 6 ton, he is comparing a (almost) zero tail swing bobcat to a conventional swing Kubota. He said his work was mostly residential (backyards) where i think tail swing would make a difference. If he needs a 80 size machine I believe the Kubota is a great machine. A 50 size machine does have it's pluses (transport) and it should be able to do most of the same jobs just with a bit more time.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think there are few differences going from a 55-60 sized machine to an 80 sized except in lift capacity. The breakout forces are not significantly different in most machines, the reach is also very close. The 80's are wider and heavier which is a plus for some applications (like rock setting or setting septic tanks and so forth). but if your not using it for those applications you could get by with a smaller but still very capable 55-60 size.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodirtinc View Post
I didn't read anything about a 6 ton, he is comparing a (almost) zero tail swing bobcat to a conventional swing Kubota. He said his work was mostly residential (backyards) where i think tail swing would make a difference. If he needs a 80 size machine I believe the Kubota is a great machine. A 50 size machine does have it's pluses (transport) and it should be able to do most of the same jobs just with a bit more time.
The Kubota is still a reduced tail swing compared too a conventional but my point is a machine in this class is huge compared too a 5/65 ton machine so if the tail swing would be an issue so would the size of the machine.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
I think there are few differences going from a 55-60 sized machine to an 80 sized except in lift capacity. The breakout forces are not significantly different in most machines, the reach is also very close. The 80's are wider and heavier which is a plus for some applications (like rock setting or setting septic tanks and so forth). but if your not using it for those applications you could get by with a smaller but still very capable 55-60 size.
I agree. This size machine is best suited for someone digging water lines, septic trenches etc when you need a machine that is still easy too transport.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

The machine will be used mostly to dig swimming pools, 8 ton machine is needed for the reach and ability to load
tri-axle trucks. I already own a Bobcat E42 for tight jobs, 8 ton will be used only when there is room.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would encourage trying the Takeuchi Tb180 or a 153 if only to see how slick the boom system is.

TK uses a side to side boom system. This allows the boom to be rotated all the way to the right, this allows the boom to be brought up along the right side of the cab (just like a conventional excavator). This allows much greater ease of loading trucks, espeicially in tight spots. The typical swing boom a mini ex forces you to position yourself farther away from the truck than does the side to side system. Also because the center of gravity of the machine is closer to center you can lift much more (having the hinge out in front of the machine negates a lot of lift capacity), especially when the boom is moved all the way to the right.

I load triaxle trucks and side dumps with my 153. It handles a 30-36" digging bucket with ease. I also use a 48" cleanout bucket and even fully loaded at full extension it is very stable. A 180 would only add to that but regardless, the machine is worth a demo.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdigger View Post
The machine will be used mostly to dig swimming pools, 8 ton machine is needed for the reach and ability to load
tri-axle trucks. I already own a Bobcat E42 for tight jobs, 8 ton will be used only when there is room.
That makes sense then. The 8 ton will have a bigger bucket and a little more reach than a 6 ton and if you alrteady own a E42 the 8 ton will be a perfect fit. I love Takeuchi excavators but in my opinion the Kubota is my favorite in that class. Komatsu would be next.