Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Will P.C. Will P.C. is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

Great point...people want to hire a professional. Not a jack of all trades but a master of none.
Posted via Mobile Device
I always hear you talking about justmowing so I checked out the thread linked above. Interesting stuff as he tells you his system which isn't much, but runs like a well oiled machine.

Looks like he started young and busted ass like everyone else and had 125 accounts. He wasn't bringing in enough to run things from a computer at this point. His father became his partner and he bought another business which doubled his size.

His company name is fitting. They don't hold the customer's hand providing 'top customer service'. In fact, it sounds like they avoid the customer after an initial brief phone call.

They advertise price and only price. No flashy direct mail boasting superior quality and customer service.

They found a segment of the population that don't mind working to death and implement an 'employee controlling their own destiny" payment plan which lights a fire under these guy's assess. Don't do a good job, the whole crew of 3 is fired.

I have worked side by side with these types of Mexicans. 5 guys rent a trailer in a trailer park, and they save all their money to send home. They don't care how many hours they work as they are in the USA to make money and only make money. Coming to the USA and working their asses off is how they take care of their family.

Last edited by Will P.C.; 02-08-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-08-2013, 10:12 PM
newguy123 newguy123 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
I always hear you talking about justmowing so I checked out the thread linked above. Interesting stuff as he tells you his system which isn't much, but runs like a well oiled machine.

Looks like he started young and busted ass like everyone else and had 125 accounts. He wasn't bringing in enough to run things from a computer at this point. His father became his partner and he bought another business which doubled his size.

His company name is fitting. They don't hold the customer's hand providing 'top customer service'. In fact, it sounds like they avoid the customer after an initial brief phone call.

They advertise price and only price. No flashy direct mail boasting superior quality and customer service.

They found a segment of the population that don't mind working to death and implement an 'employee controlling their own destiny" payment plan which lights a fire under these guy's assess. Don't do a good job, the whole crew of 3 is fired.

I have worked side by side with these types of Mexicans. 5 guys rent a trailer in a trailer park, and they save all their money to send home. They don't care how many hours they work as they are in the USA to make money and only make money. Coming to the USA and working their asses off is how they take care of their family.

Yeah like you said a well oiled machine...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-09-2013, 12:11 PM
newguy123 newguy123 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
I always hear you talking about justmowing so I checked out the thread linked above. Interesting stuff as he tells you his system which isn't much, but runs like a well oiled machine.

Looks like he started young and busted ass like everyone else and had 125 accounts. He wasn't bringing in enough to run things from a computer at this point. His father became his partner and he bought another business which doubled his size.

His company name is fitting. They don't hold the customer's hand providing 'top customer service'. In fact, it sounds like they avoid the customer after an initial brief phone call.

They advertise price and only price. No flashy direct mail boasting superior quality and customer service.

They found a segment of the population that don't mind working to death and implement an 'employee controlling their own destiny" payment plan which lights a fire under these guy's assess. Don't do a good job, the whole crew of 3 is fired.

I have worked side by side with these types of Mexicans. 5 guys rent a trailer in a trailer park, and they save all their money to send home. They don't care how many hours they work as they are in the USA to make money and only make money. Coming to the USA and working their asses off is how they take care of their family.
Hey Will have you thought about trying this justmowing style? Like PTP did?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 PM
robbiep's Avatar
robbiep robbiep is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: stratford pei
Posts: 19
were are the pictures of there mowing fleet some of you were talking about?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-09-2013, 12:35 PM
newguy123 newguy123 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
were are the pictures of there mowing fleet some of you were talking about?
this is the original thread I believe http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ght=tj+justice. a lot of pages but somewhere in there is a pic of his fleet back in 2004 I believe. He doesn't post his fleet anymore on his website justmowing.com.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-09-2013, 02:00 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Now this is a company you should be looking up to. I personally picked this guys brain for over a month!!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=365965
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-09-2013, 02:04 PM
newguy123 newguy123 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Now this is a company you should be looking up to. I personally picked this guys brain for over a month!!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=365965
Looks like a great company. Not sure I would pick one over the other (not even saying I'm picking one at all) one is focused more on larger overhead and the other isn't. To each their own...

Great looking shop though.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-09-2013, 02:10 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
That is what is possible when pricing jobs appropriately. 200 residential accounts, 30 large commercial and an install division. And he makes more than the guy with 2000 $23 accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-09-2013, 02:15 PM
newguy123 newguy123 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
That is what is possible when pricing jobs appropriately. 200 residential accounts, 30 large commercial and an install division. And he makes more than the guy with 2000 $23 accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah obviously so...however some don't want to do installs. I mean, that's good for the guy that you're talking about, and I'm glad he's doing well.

With justmowing he only does maintenance and still does millions...so, whatever works for that particular owner.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Will P.C. Will P.C. is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Hey Will have you thought about trying this justmowing style? Like PTP did?

If I remember correctly, he said he needed a few things to make it work.
-large market. Don't know anything about DFW area, but assume it is a large market.
-jam packed full schedule for each crew 5 days a week. His way of paying employees is pointless if they can bust ass and finish up a on Thurs with no work on Friday.
-ability to turn down work that doesn't fit into your niche of the mowing world.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 AM.

Page generated in 0.09531 seconds with 10 queries