Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-05-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
Thanks for taking one for the team, hopefully they will come out with the full version soon with a 110 or 130 head.
Ya, I was wishing I never saw this thred

I still have some of those "trench blades" a feller here on LS was selling. Hopefully this attachment is what Im looking for.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bed edger

Ok I bought one of these on Wed. We used it on several hundred feet of beds and several dozen tree rings. Our power head is the 110 unit. Plenty of power! The thing was amazing! The only issue was in wet ground. Damp or dry ground it was fantastic! Cut 2" deep easily about 2" wide. Ran through rocky areas with little or no problem. These were all established beds and from what I understand the Brown bed type edgers are hard to use on them. I have a larger property with hundreds of feet of new beds that will be edged for the first time when dry enough. (1" of rain yesterday YAY) I will report how it works on them. Side note: I started carrying a screw-driver to clean out the shield occasionally , would think any type of scraper or putty knife would work fine! All in all a great purchase! Renting a bed edger for 2 or 3 days would have paid for this since I already had the power unit. Price $249.00 plus tax!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsturf View Post
Ok I bought one of these on Wed. We used it on several hundred feet of beds and several dozen tree rings. Our power head is the 110 unit. Plenty of power! The thing was amazing! The only issue was in wet ground. Damp or dry ground it was fantastic! Cut 2" deep easily about 2" wide. Ran through rocky areas with little or no problem. These were all established beds and from what I understand the Brown bed type edgers are hard to use on them. I have a larger property with hundreds of feet of new beds that will be edged for the first time when dry enough. (1" of rain yesterday YAY) I will report how it works on them. Side note: I started carrying a screw-driver to clean out the shield occasionally , would think any type of scraper or putty knife would work fine! All in all a great purchase! Renting a bed edger for 2 or 3 days would have paid for this since I already had the power unit. Price $249.00 plus tax!
I picked up mine this morning, its been raining nearly all day so I tried it for a minute on my yard. It seems to me you will have to tilt to get the affect that I want. Streight it does cut about 2" deep and 2" wide. Ill post more when I get to use it next week.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Glad to hear the 110 head works, sounds like Stihl has a winner on their hands, being a big stihl fan I'm sure to get one as the season gets going.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing I also noticed is that the blade does not clog!! I heard that was an issue with the Echo model. The shield is where the mud collects, but again using a scraper is not a big deal just takes a few seconds to clear it.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info, we just got hammered with snow here, I finally got home after many many hours of snow blowing/shoveling. I'll be sure to get one in the spring, I also prefer a tapered edge(on a bit of an angle) wondering how it would cut that? thamks
Old 02-09-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

All right, could someone make a video of the redefiner while working, because i'm thinking of getting one in the states cause stihl doesn't sell them over here in europe (really don't know why???)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I have looked at it. It looks cool. Seems to have a bigger gearbox than the Echo Redefiner. The blade alone is about 1/3 the price of the Echo Blade. I worry that not having a blade to cut the deepest part of the edge might not give you the cleanest and sharpest edge. IMHO
Old 02-09-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
I have looked at it. It looks cool. Seems to have a bigger gearbox than the Echo Redefiner. The blade alone is about 1/3 the price of the Echo Blade. I worry that not having a blade to cut the deepest part of the edge might not give you the cleanest and sharpest edge. IMHO
The blade is a bent peice of 1/4 or 3/8 steel, it is NOT in anyway sharpened. When I get some serious use out of mine Ill post more about how well it works. I can assure you its not even close to a brown bed edger. I buught the sthil to hopefully save some time on "maintaing" nice bed lines. I think it will be worth the 250$, and kombi attachments are all well built and realiable.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Stihl Bed "re"-definer...

It works good for cleaning up beds. I run mine on a 110 and happy with it. Good investment for the money in my opinion.