Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's hear about everyone's unorthodox methods!!!

Hey folks,
Wanted to get some discussion going on unorthodox ways of doing certain aspects of our job.... I have been discussing loading leaves into my dump bed using a hand winch on another thread but hearing from some people made me realize that we all do things differently. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for your best kept landscaping secrets here.... If you think you got a good thing going and you don't want your competition to read it here on LS... Keep it to yourself.
But I do want to hear if anyone has invented a new way of doing something... Or if anyone has heard of any zany, wacky ways of doing something...
Perfect example.... I knew a guy who was just starting and he only had a couple of 21"s..... He ran them both by himself side to side at the same time(tied up with zip ties).... We inquired with him about it and he said he wanted his stripes to look more professional... Weird? Yup. Wacky? Yup... But it was working for him and this guy actually went on to own a pretty succesful little business. I still see him from time to time and it's been an ongoing joke since that first day i saw him with the 2 mowers but I still yell to him every time... "Hey Greg! How's the 42in. mower doing?"
Old 02-08-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't think of much except i've seen guys blowing from the truck or trailer instead of walking. It seems like the 2 21's tied together would have a small line of uncut grass in the middle. I'd like to see that.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i think everything i do is considered unorthodox to alot of people on lawnsite. it's just normal to me though.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hahaha! There totally was a little stripe in the middle that wasn't as cut as the rest! So funny! You bring up a good point there JasonsLawnCare1... That was kind of what I was getting at, lots of different things work differently for different people... We all have certain ways of doing things and it's great! But ride on string trimmer? Wow!
Old 02-09-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, JasonsLawnCare1..... Just saw your toyota trucks on another thread........ AWESOME!!!!!! I absolutely love em(wish i had one) Especially the older one!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah they're great trucks. i still miss the old one. i sold it to a guy i used to work with because his chevy/pontiac car blew up on him so he didn't have anything to drive lol.