Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-09-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"Fleet Trucks" or other higher mileage trucks

Im looking to add another work truck and I notice in the Auto Traders a few places in Kentucky ,Ohio and IL that has fleet trucks from the south and have a few miles on them. I would just like to hear from any of you guys who have bought similar trucks.

Im really just looking at 3/4 ton or smaller dumps. I have ran across a few lower mile 2wd OBS chevys for 4k or less. Ive considered saving a bit of coin and getting a 2wd as I only use 4x4 now when plowing. At any rate Im just curious about these fleet trucks in general and would like to hear some opinions.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not sure about the fleet trucks but the price does sound right. Be careful about buying trucks in KY as I think that the laws there do not require a salvage title on rebuilt vehicles.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As a young start up that is what I have been buying. I can get a 03'-04, white,chevy 3/4 ton for about $2400. They are all 2wd, Extra cab LWB. They have about 170,000 miles and I need to spend about $1000 to repair them, use them for 2 yrs and sell them for about $1000 more than what I paid. In the long run when I have more money I will buy newer. Its about the same with used mowers, eventually I will invest for the long run.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I too looked at the fleet or utility trucks as an option for a 1 ton dually. This is what scared me away from them. These trucks are left running all day long most of the time, which is bad for the seals and transmissions. Here in KC the Power & Light trucks are having an issue when they have to drive to other cities to help out with storm issues. 7 out of 10 of these trucks are blowing up on the high-way to there destination. Not good. I am not saying that all of them are bad, just check the hour meters, which are on most trucks, and see if there hours are out of whack for their mileage. If the hours are high run away!!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the input so far guys. Ya initial reaction to some of these trucks is that they are being replaced at the age/mileage for a good reason. I assume most are power company and pipeline trucks. I see alot of 07' trucks with like 150k or more but im worried about getting nickle and dime'd. Especially with a diesel truck.

However I know a guy who swears by these type of trucks but they also have a in-house mechanic so I suppose having trucks to work on isnt a day ender for an op like his.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tri, I think sometimes its a crap shoot. I know gas engines a bit better. I buy from my former employer. They are not beat to crap but high miles and have been maitained pretty well. They dont pull trailers with them but sometimes load out the bed. I will get called on this but to me a gasser is easier to work on and maint is cheaper and serves my business just fine.