Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Variable BTS at any given RPM

I've never run across this topic here, but I'm fairly sure I'm not the only one that has thought about this.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever seriously considered coming up with a way to run max BTS at, say 60 or 75 percent WOT? This would be very helpful at saving fuel, reducing noise, and increasing engine life (when on flat ground mowing very thin grass that's not too tall).

I know that someone will say that (especially air cooled) engines should be run at WOT no matter what, but I have cases where I don't believe that is the most efficient way to do it.....especially, as I said, with shorter thin grass on flat ground, and, with sharp blades.

Any ideas or comments?

Last edited by StanWilhite; 02-09-2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I agree it would be nice on larger open areas mid summer. If there was a way to quickly change pulley sizes it would help a lot.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
I agree it would be nice on larger open areas mid summer. If there was a way to quickly change pulley sizes it would help a lot.
I think that if that could be done in a simple, convenient way, it could be a good selling point since fuel is as expensive as it is these days.

I have places that, especially as you mentioned at certain times of the year, I could easily mow at 50-60% throttle if I could get the BTS up (to spread the clippings). It bugs me to know that I could do the job with 30-40% less throttle if only I could adjust the BTS.

It's not that I'm that tight with money, it's just that, with 59 years under my belt now, it makes me feel good to know I'm doing something as efficiently as possible. (At my age, I've found you look for pleasure anywhere you can find it!)