Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: What advertsing to do first when starting up?
Door-to-door 11 39.29%
yellow pages 1 3.57%
local newspaper 9 32.14%
direct mail 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2013, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why not start a web page? You can describe your resume and experiance. I would live out the part about wanting to ditch the boss but say you want to do things better with personal service.

Web page was not on the list. You can also get more active in your community, chamber of commerce, and other such networking tools. Go to the city purchasing department find out how to be qualified to bid and get on the bid list.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

you have to do it all there is no one thing that works it all works you getting your name out there and getting yards is the most important thing you can do for your company, I am in the same exact position as you worked for a large company and now out on my own door to door has worked some craigslist add has worked some, website has worked some, word of mouth has worked great, also I joined a referal group in my area where a bunch of business owners get eachother referals and that has worked great for me, DO IT ALL MAN WHATEVER YOU CAN AFFORD GO DO IT!, Get out there talk to people and develop relationships thats how it works!.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreen123 View Post
you have to do it all there is no one thing that works it all works you getting your name out there and getting yards is the most important thing you can do for your company, I am in the same exact position as you worked for a large company and now out on my own door to door has worked some craigslist add has worked some, website has worked some, word of mouth has worked great, also I joined a referal group in my area where a bunch of business owners get eachother referals and that has worked great for me, DO IT ALL MAN WHATEVER YOU CAN AFFORD GO DO IT!, Get out there talk to people and develop relationships thats how it works!.
I totally agree! You have to have a multi tasking approach, Sit down and come up with a marketing plan, you need a internet marketing plan as well as a on the ground networking plan. You have to decide who your customers are going to be, are you going to focus on commercial or residential, what age group are you going after? how big of area are you going to be able to service? define this area and get the demographics for this area. I'm staying within a 15 mile radius this year in order to keep fuel cost down.Network Network Network, just get out there and talk to everybody everyday all the time, you'll be surprised who you run into that knows somebody that knows somebody else and so on and so on, it an constant ongoing thing, you need a system that markets 24/7. Get the book E myth landscape contractor, it explains why you have to put systems in place and it's a lot easier if you do it from the very beginning instead of waiting until your in over your head.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I second ELS, goinggreen123, and cpllawncare. They gave some great advice.

You also hit the nail on the head.... After word of mouth; trucks, trailers and uniforms are the best advertising you will ever have. Make them as clean as you can with a nice logo.

You should also type a professional letter/resume that details your experience. You have good experience with great clients, make sure to point that out. List some of the best customers you have worked for. Ask for referrals from some of the property owners/managers you had a relationship with. Spend some money to have this professionally written if you need to. You can also use this information on your website or a flier.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
what other option is there???!?
Posted via Mobile Device
none. my point is giong door to door is a waste of time and gas.

Tags
customers , new business , start-up , suggestions