Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: What do you use for edging yards?
String Trimmer 62 48.06%
Edger 67 51.94%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I will forever and always use an edger for edging anything along a walkway or driveway. anything from starting a brand new edge from 2+ inches of overgrowth to weekly maintenance on an exsiting edge.

why? because in my personal opinion nothing looks straighter or sharper than using an edger for edging. for me it's also much, much quicker than using a trimmer.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In Northern Ca. Most of us use string trimmer.Our lawns don't require the old school walk behind edger.The old guys use them but that about it .
Old 02-10-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane mapes View Post
In Northern Ca. Most of us use string trimmer.Our lawns don't require the old school walk behind edger.The old guys use them but that about it .
"Old school"???????????
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2013, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like I said we do't have the need for them here.We have mostly small yards unlike what the rest of you guys get.We also mow all year long.No snow & we don't get enough rain not to mow.Most of our lots are under 10,000 sq ft.Mostly use a 21 in. mower as well.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

oh I see. lawns have to REQUIRE the use for them?

I use a stick edger each and every week on all my lawns. not because the lawns require it. but because I personally feel an edger does a much straighter and much sharper job than any man of any skill level with a trimmer could ever do.

I see plenty of guys in my neck of the woods who use trimmers instead of edgers. personally in my neck of the woods you could easily get by with edging only once or twice a month. there is very little growth to edge week to week but a stick edger will do a better job in my opinion.

I don't think require is the right word. I've seen guys use walkbehind edgers every week, others choose stick edgers and still others trimmers. it's a matter of what you feel does the best and quickest job.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm just better with the stick edger, i have seen some guys that can do a pretty damn good edge with the string trimmer.. i used to do OK with it when i did it that way, but to me it is faster and looks way better with my stick edger. OK just doesn't cut it.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
i'm just better with the stick edger, i have seen some guys that can do a pretty damn good edge with the string trimmer.. i used to do OK with it when i did it that way, but to me it is faster and looks way better with my stick edger. OK just doesn't cut it.
I like that way of thinking. No string for me anywhere. Edger for the vertical cut against hardscapes and Landscape Blade for trimming against obstacles. Warm season grasses look better if an edger is used. It is also faster and easier than trying to hold a string head steady.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-12-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm "old school" about alot of things, including an edger. Walkbehind Tanaka since 19?? I think I'm on my 5th or 6th one, lost count.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We (and most other companies around here) run a string trimmer and no edger. Keeping one more piece of equipment on the trailer plus edger blades etc gets to be a pain when we can cut a good edge with a trimmer. It does take practice though. Also, its one less trip to the truck...trim everything and then edge it with the trimmer. It does add up.
With that said I am going to start keeping an edger on the truck and will edge most properties before the season gets underway. There's places where a trimmer just cannot handle the buildup. Plus it does leave a remarkably crisp edge.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i always had problem with the line getting ate up real fast from hitting the concrete. probally because i just wasn't that good at it.