Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Weeds around junipers

Looking for some advice. Usually when I post here, the licensed guys yell and scream so here is my situation. I have a commercial account that I have cut for the last 4 years. As I have done with many of my accounts, I have recommended a lawn and tree chemical company to handle weed control and fertilization. I use them at my home and customers are happy with them. At the commercial account, there is a hill about 50 feet long with junipers on it..full sun. Weeds of all kinds growing in and around the junipers. I have asked the lawn treatment company to give me a price to handle it. They say they will not since it will contaminate their tanks. I weed eat the hill everytime I cut the property and it has gotten old. I want to handle killing the weeds on my own and advised the owner and have his support. What is the best chemical to use? I will buy a pump sprayer just for that chemical. It is not grass around the junipers, just about 20 different weeds. I need something to spray over the top. can I spray it now or does it have to be warmer? Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Let the fun begin.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seems you could use good ole Round up or similar product that kills all weeds. Non selective. Also, ask your spray guy what he would suggest.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch the trees. This is what your license and the law allows you to do.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Broadleaf weeds? juniper shrubs trees or grouncover? There is an over-the-top product for such a situation but the price will make you sick.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

The weeds are around and under the junipers. Round up is not an option since I may not have a license to spray ELS, but have enough common sense not to do what the guy who used to have the account did. He killed some of them using round up. The weed companies around here do not want to mess with it because they are making their money filling their big tanks with weed killer/fertilzer. I will research. ELS is the typical reply here...the licensed guys act like we want to perform brain surgery without a license. They do not ask for a license at the supply houses either. I usually abide by it, but i will just follow directions on the bottle.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmslawns View Post
The weeds are around and under the junipers. Round up is not an option since I may not have a license to spray ELS, but have enough common sense not to do what the guy who used to have the account did. He killed some of them using round up. The weed companies around here do not want to mess with it because they are making their money filling their big tanks with weed killer/fertilzer. I will research. ELS is the typical reply here...the licensed guys act like we want to perform brain surgery without a license. They do not ask for a license at the supply houses either. I usually abide by it, but i will just follow directions on the bottle.
Sorry it was the typical response but I could not encourge you to break the law because then I would be guilty of incitement. Mulch does work very well.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not too far from you and just treated some areas for mainly henbit, clover and dandelions. I would recommend looking for someone to sub this work out to, so you don't break the law. I used 4 Speed XT on my apps and it wilted most of the weeds within 48 hours even with the cold temps.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.

Last edited by Nate'sLawnCare; 02-11-2013 at 10:39 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-11-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know the op is t licensed so this is directed more to anyone reading this as i have a similar problem but am licensed. Wouldn't ornamec or fusillade work?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
I know the op is t licensed so this is directed more to anyone reading this as i have a similar problem but am licensed. Wouldn't ornamec or fusillade work?
Posted via Mobile Device
They are primarily for controlling bermuda grass in juniper. I have yet to here of anything that will do a great job of killing everything but juniper, but RU will kill any branches it touches. I find it nice to charge out labor for hand picking weeds monthly.