Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2013, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is powerful enough at 28 cc in ideal conditions. If the soil is too wet the soil cakes up on the shield and you have to scrape it with a putty knife often. If the soil is clay and it's very dry that also bogs down the machine. Also the depth of the trench is adjustable, so the deeper you set it the slower your pace is.
Consider that the blade, (claw) is 3 inches wide and if placed on another machine you still lack the extra wide 5 inch shield and flap that throws the dirt forward and into the bed as you walk it backward. Working without the shield the blade would fling soil all over the place as well as the operator. It really moves quite a bit of soil as it trenches.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegomow View Post
It is powerful enough at 28 cc in ideal conditions. If the soil is too wet the soil cakes up on the shield and you have to scrape it with a putty knife often. If the soil is clay and it's very dry that also bogs down the machine. Also the depth of the trench is adjustable, so the deeper you set it the slower your pace is.
Consider that the blade, (claw) is 3 inches wide and if placed on another machine you still lack the extra wide 5 inch shield and flap that throws the dirt forward and into the bed as you walk it backward. Working without the shield the blade would fling soil all over the place as well as the operator. It really moves quite a bit of soil as it trenches.
Yeah I would also attach the shield to the new machine, not smart to work without it. Do you think though the extra 3 or 4 cc's would help out in the less ideal conditions? I'm sure it wouldt in the wet conditions but why about the dry ones?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deererunner View Post
$450?! I have been quoted numerous times at $100 from my dealer and they are always the most expensive for parts. Like others have said in this thread and I just posted in another, I looked last year into putting just the blade on a stihl ( preferrablly on a fs100, I think that's the most powerful stihl edger) and the blade should fit. I believe the arbor size is the same. You would just also have to mount the for the bed edger onto the stihl. I think this spring I will be trying it out and will let everyone know about my results.

Big reason for me to running a stihl instead of the echo is I don't believe the echo has enough torque for the blade, I could be wrong though but I do know the stihls always produce more torque. If you watch the echo YouTube videos just sounds like the echo is bogging down an struggling.

Anyone who does own the echo, does it seem to lack power?
Posted via Mobile Device
I bought one when they first came out and was quoted $450.00 for a replacement blade. There must be several after market blade makers now to get the price down to what is being displayed. I wish I had kept mine instead of selling it with the business.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene gls View Post
I bought one when they first came out and was quoted $450.00 for a replacement blade. There must be several after market blade makers now to get the price down to what is being displayed. I wish I had kept mine instead of selling it with the business.
Jeez, the whole unit sells for $600?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I bought a blade and put it on my Stihl FC95. It works real well. Tried an Echo out. It is NOT a Stihl. Not enough power. Now I see where Stihl is coming out with a bed re-definer. That will be nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2013, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998tahoe View Post
I bought a blade and put it on my Stihl FC95. It works real well. Tried an Echo out. It is NOT a Stihl. Not enough power. Now I see where Stihl is coming out with a bed re-definer. That will be nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Did you have to modify anything or did the. Last fit right on? If you were able to, would you put the blade on a FC 110 or do you think the FC 95 is plenty? I have to buy a new edger this year and def going to e putting the echo blade on for the beds so I am just trying to decide wether I want to go with the 95 or the 110. Thanks! You statement was exactly what I was looking for!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deererunner View Post
Did you have to modify anything or did the. Last fit right on? If you were able to, would you put the blade on a FC 110 or do you think the FC 95 is plenty? I have to buy a new edger this year and def going to e putting the echo blade on for the beds so I am just trying to decide wether I want to go with the 95 or the 110. Thanks! You statement was exactly what I was looking for!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

It fit on it fine. The FC95 has plenty of power. I also have a 110 and have used it on it also. Could not tell a lot of difference. We have red clay around here and it does just fine
Old 02-03-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998tahoe View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

It fit on it fine. The FC95 has plenty of power. I also have a 110 and have used it on it also. Could not tell a lot of difference. We have red clay around here and it does just fine
Awesome, just the information I was looking for. I don't have any clay around me do it sounds like I will be good with either of the two edger and the blade. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2013, 04:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzube View Post
We bought just the attachment, connects to any echo trimmer but a 24+cc has the needed power.
i was wondering about how much, i remember i once priced just the head, cuz it will bolt up to the 280t just fine. i think it was still kinda pricey, at least 250, but cant remember.