Register free!

Old 02-11-2013, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Landshark: If you're spraying PM me for a mix. Centipede is not a real green turf but apple green. Iron incorporated with micros as Greendoctor will do wonders for the turf especially on this sand, hardly no soil except what is appended.
For what it is worth: 8 out of 10 males are color blind to some extent. If color of turf is bothering anyone, get a second opinion from your wife or close friend.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Landshark: If you're spraying PM me for a mix. Centipede is not a real green turf but apple green. Iron incorporated with micros as Greendoctor will do wonders for the turf especially on this sand, hardly no soil except what is appended.
For what it is worth: 8 out of 10 males are color blind to some extent. If color of turf is bothering anyone, get a second opinion from your wife or close friend.
All granular right now. Hope to be adding a spray rig before next year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
N without anything else can be trouble on centipede unless the soil has adequate K. On centipede, I prefer to apply N, K, and micronutrients all together. No chlorides and no P in the fertilizer. How long is your growing season such that 2 applications will do it? I do agree with using ammonium sulfate as the N source. That has the added benefit of supplying S and aiding in the maintenance of an acid soil pH. Sadly, the only way to reliably get a fertilizer that does not use urea and muriate of potash as nutrient sources is to blend your own. That is what I do in the tank and spray the mix on in 5 gallons. There should be no need to apply 1 lb of N at a time, I get good results applying 1/2 lb N at a time to centipede. .
The growing season goes from April to October. The last cut around here is the first week of November usually. This is only my second full year in the business. I took over these fertilizer program only lawns from a guy I went to school with and just did his 4 app program last year which consisted of pre em, two fert apps, pre em in the fall with spot spraying as needed.

So no, 2 apps is not enough, I think 3 will be. Shouldn't the potash from the pre emergent last fall still be in the soil ready to be used once the grass starts growing? That should make the 21-0-0 AS at 1/2lbN/K ok to use for green up? The Allectus at the max rate per app will give me .82lbsN/K. So this should last until August and then the 10-0-20 SCU is the product JDL recommends for the late summer app on centipede. I know from experience they don't always know what's best.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsharkMB View Post
The growing season goes from April to October. The last cut around here is the first week of November usually. This is only my second full year in the business. I took over these fertilizer program only lawns from a guy I went to school with and just did his 4 app program last year which consisted of pre em, two fert apps, pre em in the fall with spot spraying as needed.

So no, 2 apps is not enough, I think 3 will be. Shouldn't the potash from the pre emergent last fall still be in the soil ready to be used once the grass starts growing? That should make the 21-0-0 AS at 1/2lbN/K ok to use for green up? The Allectus at the max rate per app will give me .82lbsN/K. So this should last until August and then the 10-0-20 SCU is the product JDL recommends for the late summer app on centipede. I know from experience they don't always know what's best.
Posted via Mobile Device
You might want to do a search for the Green Doctors post about using a motorized back pack sprayer. If you have small lawns this would be the way to go. You will have to read several of them to get the complete picture of what he is doing.