Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2013, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Never ever stay parked just because they are forecasting rain. I have seen days here it was 80% chance rain and it didn't rain a drop until late afternoon. If you stay home every time rain is in the forecast, you will lose money! Work until it rains and then make the call. Remember, 50% chance of rain means 50% of the coverage area. That means 50% of your coverage area may NOT get rain. Think glass half full!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTenterprises View Post
Never ever stay parked just because they are forecasting rain. I have seen days here it was 80% chance rain and it didn't rain a drop until late afternoon. If you stay home every time rain is in the forecast, you will lose money! Work until it rains and then make the call. Remember, 50% chance of rain means 50% of the coverage area. That means 50% of your coverage area may NOT get rain. Think glass half full!
Thanks for the advice...

Gravely 44z ztr
Yazoo 22 inch push mower
Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blower
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer
Stihl FC 90 Edger
Echo PB200 hand-held Blower
Echo HC150 hedge trimmer

"The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent."

"The only place where 'success' comes before 'work' is in the dictionary"
Old 02-11-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Been raining here all day, Im a week behind <unusaul for feburary> because it rained thursday and friday last week. So what do you do, put a tube in a tire thats been giving me trouble, changed the oil in the car, and went to the Beer store.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Weather apps on smartphones ~> current radar. Have used this to help me decide to work on the other side of town more than a few times over the years. Rain won't kill me, but some kinds of work are much better suited for dry conditions.

When I am rained out, there's always little maintenance chores to do that will same me some time in the future.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If it is absolutely pissing out at start time, I call it off and tell the boys they are on call until 11. I might go out and poke around if I feel like it(maybe pulling weeds, cuting some limbs, turning the mulch)... This is just because I am allergic to sitting around... haha.. If we are out and it starts, we try to push on like the warriors that we are... Depending on what you are doing, this isn't always possible...
Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's hard for me too take the day off if it's raining. Most of rain days i make it a goal to still make some money. I can deliver mulch or materials to job sites or pick up trees or shrubs. Or i will do a weeding or trimming job or cut a tree down. Like others said you'll lose money if your sitting home when it's raining. Also there's allways office work or estimates to do. Maintenance. The more I think about it we could probaly use more rain days!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Weather apps on smartphones ~> current radar. Have used this to help me decide to work on the other side of town more than a few times over the years. Rain won't kill me, but some kinds of work are much better suited for dry conditions.

When I am rained out, there's always little maintenance chores to do that will same me some time in the future.
This how I play the game as well. If I am on a property I try to finish. If I get rained out equipment maintenance, office work, supply run.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i've not worked on days before where there was 70% chance of rain and turned out it never rained until after dark lol.

now i just go work if it's not raining already. if it starts i stop and go home. i guess i got lucky last year cuz i never got caught out in the rain all season.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well today I'm playing on here! Usually I'll try to push through. Last week when we had a chance for rain (thursday I think), we loaded five truck loads of debris until the rain got too bad. Of course this week is about shot as I went by the job site yesterday and the place was a pond. With more rain coming, I'm better off trying to get the next projects lined up.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Now I'm watching a marathon of "Bar Rescue". Still raining.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.