Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2013, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I am seeking some suggestions on engine repair. I know many of those on the Western PA board are from north of Pittsburgh, but I would like someplace south. I am about 15 miles SW of Pittsburgh.

My Kaw has a slow oil leak. It is a 19hp, twin cylinder, driving my John Deere 717A. The oil leak is from the "bottom" of the engine. I'm sorry I cannot be more specific. All I can see is the oil coming off the engine deck, at the rear. It could be an oil seal on the lower end of the crank, but could be something more serious.

I usually do all my own repair work, but do not want to tackle something this project. It is beyond what I believe I am capable.

This machine, nor any of my machines, has been to a repair shop. I don't have any experiences, either positive or negative, about quality of work, costs, response, etc.

I did check with one shop, but they only put your equipment in the que upon arrival, and leave the machine sit outside until ready to work. My machines have never sat outside, and don't like this arrangement. Without finding something else, this may be my best path.

Any suggestions that are within a reasonable distance?

Thanks.
Check out Steel City Mower and Plow, super nice dudes and they know what they're doing. Not sure if they can help you but it's worth a try.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressedun View Post
Check out Steel City Mower and Plow, super nice dudes and they know what they're doing. Not sure if they can help you but it's worth a try.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good idea! I had forgotten about them. I bought something in there a few years ago, but nothing big.

I talked with a man on the phone (Brian?), and am planning to take it to them tomorrow to give me a better idea of what may be involved.

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Good idea! I had forgotten about them. I bought something in there a few years ago, but nothing big.

I talked with a man on the phone (Brian?), and am planning to take it to them tomorrow to give me a better idea of what may be involved.

Thanks.
They're younger guys but they definitely seem like the know exactly what they're doing, if not for living in the north hills, they would be my exclusive repair place. They carried my salt spreader spinner motor when I believe almost all other places don't and when you need a part fast because you're in a pinch, it's great to know that they would carry it. They also said if I ever needed a part after hours that they would take care of that for me, stand up dudes.

2014 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4
2013 Chevy Silverado 3500 4x4 Dump
2005 Chevy Silverado 1500
2013 7x16 Big Tex
2010 6x10 Big Tex
Buyers 2YD Poly Spreader
52" Scag Cheetah
48" Exmark Turf Tracer
48" Exmark Viking
18HP Little Wonder Vac
Toro Snowblowers
Stihl Handhelds

www.prestonlawnscapes.com

My work - http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351577&page=13
Old 02-15-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Update: I took my machine to Steel City Mower and Plow on Tuesday. They seemed receptive to do the work, and thought they would be able to look at in the "next day or two," depending upon snow. Clearly, they have a good snow plow and spreader business, and are dropping all else to service their customers with these products. We discussed what might be the problem, thinking the leak was coming from an oil seal on the bottom on the engine.

Since they were going to probably have valve covers off anyway, I asked them to adjust the valves. Also, I asked them to replace the fuel line. I've read too many threads on LS about fuel line failures because of age, ... spilled fuel, fire, end of ZTR. I could have done this, but I was sure they had stock fuel line.

Yes, ... young folks, there!

I received a call late this afternoon, "... Z-track is ready to go." I had enough time to get my trailer hooked, and get there before they closed for the day.

The machine was ready to go, as promised. They quickly discovered the oil was coming from one of the valve covers, bottom side. They replaced the gaskets, checked the valves (no adjustment needed at 1830 hours, adjusted at 500 hours a couple of years ago), and the problem appears to be fixed. Yes, it was a task that I could have done, and probably would have discovered the problem if I had done a valve adjustment.

They also replaced the fuel line, so I feel better about having a new, supple fuel line, one that has no rubbings on it either.

Bottom line: I think they did a fine job. Time will tell if the oil leak is solved in the long run, but seems to be fine now.

They could have followed my idea, removed the engine, removed the pulleys and clutch, replaced the oil seal on the bottom of the crank, AND cleared up the valve cover problem. I would have gotten the machine back, no oil leak, and thought they fixed the leak with the oil seal replacement. AND, I would have been paid much more money for the repair -- never being the wiser about the real problem.

Thanks again for the tip. I would return to them with another problem, and would recommend their work to others with engine problems.

Just for reference to others, they do sell SnowBoss plows, large V-hopper and endgate salt spreaders, SCAG mowers, Husqvarna equipment (mowers, hand power tools, etc), and Ventrac tractors. I left with the impression that they have done well with SnowBoss (they offer 24 hour emergency service). They are at Rt 88 and Connor Rd, Castle Shannon, right between Rt 88 and the trolley tracks.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Update: I took my machine to Steel City Mower and Plow on Tuesday. They seemed receptive to do the work, and thought they would be able to look at in the "next day or two," depending upon snow. Clearly, they have a good snow plow and spreader business, and are dropping all else to service their customers with these products. We discussed what might be the problem, thinking the leak was coming from an oil seal on the bottom on the engine.

Since they were going to probably have valve covers off anyway, I asked them to adjust the valves. Also, I asked them to replace the fuel line. I've read too many threads on LS about fuel line failures because of age, ... spilled fuel, fire, end of ZTR. I could have done this, but I was sure they had stock fuel line.

Yes, ... young folks, there!

I received a call late this afternoon, "... Z-track is ready to go." I had enough time to get my trailer hooked, and get there before they closed for the day.

The machine was ready to go, as promised. They quickly discovered the oil was coming from one of the valve covers, bottom side. They replaced the gaskets, checked the valves (no adjustment needed at 1830 hours, adjusted at 500 hours a couple of years ago), and the problem appears to be fixed. Yes, it was a task that I could have done, and probably would have discovered the problem if I had done a valve adjustment.

They also replaced the fuel line, so I feel better about having a new, supple fuel line, one that has no rubbings on it either.

Bottom line: I think they did a fine job. Time will tell if the oil leak is solved in the long run, but seems to be fine now.

They could have followed my idea, removed the engine, removed the pulleys and clutch, replaced the oil seal on the bottom of the crank, AND cleared up the valve cover problem. I would have gotten the machine back, no oil leak, and thought they fixed the leak with the oil seal replacement. AND, I would have been paid much more money for the repair -- never being the wiser about the real problem.

Thanks again for the tip. I would return to them with another problem, and would recommend their work to others with engine problems.

Just for reference to others, they do sell SnowBoss plows, large V-hopper and endgate salt spreaders, SCAG mowers, Husqvarna equipment (mowers, hand power tools, etc), and Ventrac tractors. I left with the impression that they have done well with SnowBoss (they offer 24 hour emergency service). They are at Rt 88 and Connor Rd, Castle Shannon, right between Rt 88 and the trolley tracks.
Glad to hear it went well man, sounds like we have found a reputable repair/dealer in Pittsburgh!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys!

Dang - I haven't been on the forum in a few months!

I got an Open House announcement for Norwin Rental in the mail today and thought I'd post up the date for anyone who may be interested.
I bought my Ferris walk behind during the open house last spring and saved a LOT by doing so.

Also, everything else (parts/accessories) is 20% off.
Good time to buy all that stuff you know you're going to use throughout the season. (mix oil, string, blades, wheels, whatever)

NORWIN RENTAL
Open House

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 6, 2013
9am-4pm
(Lunch will be served)

Not sure yet when Penn Hills Rental's open house will be.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe i will stop over and check it out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Jeff up at Penn Hills Rental is great with us! We have been dealing with him for years and he always takes care of us. He just gave me great prices on a few Toro machines for the upcoming season. Probably saved us between 7-10 grand. Highly recommend those guys!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey there Western Penn guys!! I'm looking for the best Ferris dealer in the greater Pittsburgh area... I'm from down here in the sticks of western MD and I'm looking to buy a 52" W/B and here there's only a exmark and jd dealer around here...Closest Ferris dealer from me is Somerset but if theres a breakdown I don't care if I drive 15 minutes or 3 hrs I want to know I got a back up in place.. Anyone recommend me the best place? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

CrossRoads Mower in McMurray, PA is a Ferris dealer. I think they do a fair amount of business in the Ferris line. They are a sizable dealer, handling Toro, Wright, Echo, Shindy, Snapper, and some other products.

I don't find a web page, but punch in the address on Google for directions,

611 E McMurray Rd, Canonsburg, PA 15317
(724) 941-6501

[Canonsburg and McMurray are interchangeable with this address, don't be confused]

Drive up I-79, or I-70 to Washington, then up Rt 19 to McMurray (10? miles), E McMurray Rd to their location (3? miles).

If calling, ask for Tommy.

Tags
n'at!