Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-10-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Keep your Dodge, finance the Ford with the plow, and make double or triple or 10x payments in the summer. As soon as this one is paid for, trade your Dodge on a new truck.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 02-10-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats exactly what i was thinking. I could pay this off within one season if i wanted to. What i was thinking of doing was to trade my dodge straight up for this truck( i have a plow already and would only need a mount and wiring for the f350, then finance a new truck.

I love the dodge, just spend a lot to maintain it. I guess that goes for every truck tho.

I have two weeks to think about it, she will give me 15,900 on my dodge to trade it. So id owe about 2k (which i was going to put down on it anyway..

I still really dont know what i want to do.

Insured and Licensed
Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The trade in will save you a **** load on sales tax.

What about your one ton dump you got a while back? Do you still have that? If not I'd keep the Dodge until you can get your next truck, you don't wanna just have 1 and not have a backup.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
Thats exactly what i was thinking. I could pay this off within one season if i wanted to. What i was thinking of doing was to trade my dodge straight up for this truck( i have a plow already and would only need a mount and wiring for the f350, then finance a new truck.

I love the dodge, just spend a lot to maintain it. I guess that goes for every truck tho.

I have two weeks to think about it, she will give me 15,900 on my dodge to trade it. So id owe about 2k (which i was going to put down on it anyway..

I still really dont know what i want to do.
What issues are you having with the dodge? If it was me. And I was having regular problems with the dodge. I would trade it off. I don't know what kind of miles you have on the dodge. But if its anything over 80k. You're getting a great deal on that new one with half the mileage, no payments and a warranty. Which just means you're going to be way ahead in the long run. I do have a 10 f.250. They are very strong and reliable trucks.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 big horn edition quad cab with 97,000 miles on it. Never had any transmission or starting problems. I love the damn truck, but seems like there is a squeak that never goes away. This summer i changed the idler pulley, tensioner pulley, alternator, crank shaft pulley,a/c compressor and serpentine belt. Pretty much every pulley on the front of the engine. Hasnt squeaked since, but now whenever the belt gets even a little wet it screaches horrible and sweaks for about 10 minutes until the belt dries.

Also, i had to change a bent axle over the summer and i am sure i didn't overload the truck"personal truck" the most it hauls is a boat trailer, or a Turf tracer in the back, and i know i didnt side swipe a curb.

Also, the truck is somewhat starting to show wear in the interior. I have had to sew up the driver seat(small tears in the fabric) from it rubbing against the metal on the side when i get out of the truck. Dodge's seat cushions tend to wear out very quick.

REally nothing is wrong with the truck, id just like to update the fleet and have a fresh engine. I was origionally planning on not having a payment for another 6-7 years on a personal truck, which i still might do. Seems stupid to get rid of the dodge when it works fine,im just anal about the way my equipment runs, sounds, and looks.

Where most guys would just say, "i'll deal with the squeak", i want to make sure i know where its coming from and replace anything that could cause it.

Insured and Licensed
Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntmanlogan View Post
What issues are you having with the dodge? If it was me. And I was having regular problems with the dodge. I would trade it off. I don't know what kind of miles you have on the dodge. But if its anything over 80k. You're getting a great deal on that new one with half the mileage, no payments and a warranty. Which just means you're going to be way ahead in the long run. I do have a 10 f.250. They are very strong and reliable trucks.
also with regards to maintenance. I get regular car washes, i change the spark plugs , and all fluids every 20k miles, and engine oil every 3k with synthetic. I know this engine will last me a long long time, just by the way i take care of it, but it gets expensive. I think i have logged over 7k in just maintenance since i have had it for 5 years. Which isn't bad you just normally don't factor the maintenance price in when buying a truck.

Insured and Licensed
Old 02-11-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know the engine is different from say 03 250 to a 2010. What else? no more bench seat. A local wantabe mechanic claims the newer 250's are junk. Are the older ones better, same or not as good?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJWLAWNCARE View Post
I know the engine is different from say 03 250 to a 2010. What else? no more bench seat. A local wantabe mechanic claims the newer 250's are junk. Are the older ones better, same or not as good?
Great topic! I would like to know too. The 5.4l engine has been used for awhile on f 250 and 350's. Whats the difference between a 03,04,05 vs 10,11,12?

Insured and Licensed
Old 02-12-2013, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

REally nothing is wrong with the truck, id just like to update the fleet and have a fresh engine. I was origionally planning on not having a payment for another 6-7 years on a personal truck, which i still might do. Seems stupid to get rid of the dodge when it works fine,im just anal about the way my equipment runs, sounds, and looks.

I would say keep the dodge and then take a loan out on the ford. It is really to good of a deal to pass up.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntmanlogan View Post

I would say keep the dodge and then take a loan out on the ford. It is really to good of a deal to pass up.
That's what I am going to do.... As much as I hate to say it I think I may lease a small ford Taurus or fusion hybrid just for the mileage on top of the two trucks. I'm spending at least 100 dollars a week on fuel just going to school. It's getting to the point where getting to school costs more than the actual classes themselves. If I could get 40 mpg's I'd think I would man up and leave the truck at home for an afternoon at school.

It would pay its self back with the fuel savings. Would just be a another car to insure and plate.

Insured and Licensed