Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you plow snow?

I'm from Iowa and it seems like everyone here has V blade.
00 chevy 3500 dump
03 dodge dakota
4 ferris wb
1 ferris ztr
2 exmark ztr
lesco spreader sprayer stand on
case 1845
western plows
Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I got a 5 yard Cat loader coming tomorrow will be nice to be free it will be day 5 tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
I got a 5 yard Cat loader coming tomorrow will be nice to be free it will be day 5 tomorrow.
Wow! I feel for you guys up in ct. Kelly I'm sure your glad you don't plow anymore. 40inches of snow is impossible to plow. You have to have a big blower or a loader. I'm looking forward to talking to the ct guys on plowsite when there all done with there routes. I'm sure guys are still trying to get there places open.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well that was fun, lol. I finished up all of my regular accounts by midnite yesterday. I ran chains all day Saturday and went around just opening places up. Bad roads and poor fuel availability cost me a lot of time...takes a long time to get between accounts at 10 to 15 mph. I had planned to go through the list wifey has but I didn't get very far on that because I had to do slush runs and address a couple of problems on my regulars due to the rain. I enjoyed watching all the rookies stuffing their trucks into snow banks...gotta be a bit methodical about getting into a property rather than just ramming your truck in there...ya know, lol.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Well that was fun, lol. I finished up all of my regular accounts by midnite yesterday. I ran chains all day Saturday and went around just opening places up. Bad roads and poor fuel availability cost me a lot of time...takes a long time to get between accounts at 10 to 15 mph. I had planned to go through the list wifey has but I didn't get very far on that because I had to do slush runs and address a couple of problems on my regulars due to the rain. I enjoyed watching all the rookies stuffing their trucks into snow banks...gotta be a bit methodical about getting into a property rather than just ramming your truck in there...ya know, lol.
Good to see you're ok... did you make good$ off that snow or what?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We got 31" and another 3-4" yesterday along with rain. We told the guys shoveling to wait until it was over. I'm glad we did we had drifts over 5' in places We're going back again tonight to move more snow. It was kind of comical after the storm watching guys trying to plow driveways. They would get a running start and slam into the apron packing the snow even more
Old 02-12-2013, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no idea what we got here....a little less than you. Maybe 26" or so....but ya, still measured drifts 5 ft high in many places. Biggest challenge for plowing that I have ever faced. Visibility was so bad that first night that I backed the corner into a tree and took out the tail light but that was all. Got "stuck" one time, but just shoveled out some snow from being high centered and was all set. I was very thankful - tons of work and long hours but it could have been a lot worse. Most guys didn't go out that first night - it was probably stupid to take it on, but it worked out all right. Now I'm definitely ready for Florida next week...lol

Jason
Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It was all about geometry and angles, little bites at a time. Storms like this I can't wait to get a V-plow. =D
Old 02-12-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I apparently backed the corner of my truck into a pole too from the looks of it but I have no idea when or where. I just know the bumper corner is pushed in and that the tailgate pops out of it's socket now when you drop it. Spent about $1000 to get ready for it, did about $500 damage to the truck not including the scratches from all the limbs draped over driveways. I've been hitting one-time accounts, doing slush patrol on my regulars, dealing with drainage issues and pushing back piles for 2 days now. The hardpack on the roads is mostly gone but now it's in all of my aprons. At least it's warm.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Darryl, that's exactly the reason I can't understand how guys can stomach using brand new trucks for plowing - the amount of branches that scratch and small things you can't see covered in snow, dings the truck often. I just deal with it and fix it if need be, but if I had a really nice new truck I'd get PO'd. lol