Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Stand-On. What's the best cut/mulcher?

I've got 20 or so residential properties in the Minneapolis area. I'm looking for a stander that can be my primary mower for spring clean ups, mowing, and fall clean ups. Who can recommend the best brand and make? I was considering Wright, but I hear Toro cuts and mulches better, and Exmark, because of it's deck design, cuts and mulches even better than Toro. I welcome all feedback. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a scag vride and recommend it but I'm in the south with Bermuda
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a scag and really like it. Second choice would be a toro . Scag has a promo this month on their v rides
Old 02-09-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Stand-On. What's the best cut/mulcher?

I have a wright 36" with the old deck. It does well unless grass is overgrown or wet. Then it kinda pukes it out. It stripes well without a stripping roller installed.
I just bought a wright stander x 52" with the new aero core deck. Heard the new deck has made a good quality of cut difference but I have not had a chance to try it out myself yet.

I don't know much about the scag vride but I have been happy with the Wright brand and I have good dealer support in my area. Wrights are made in Fredrick md and I'm in Baltimore so if there are any parts I need to be shipped I can get them fast.

I did try the grandstand when I first looked into standers and I did not like it. While I was demoing the unit the ignition or some onboard computer failed and the dealer said Oh no that's a quick fix. The mower would not turn on until they replaced this computer board or something behind the ignition. It had much more integrated parts than wright stander did. And this meant if one piece failed they had to replace the whole thing. I had a reason for not liking this mower was the flip down platform. You get better traction when standing on the platform but because you're behind the wheels when you go to make a turn at the bottom of a hill or go up a steep hill the platform can dig into the dirt and if you step off you lose traction.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I have an older 32" Wright with Gator blades. I doesn't care if the grass is tall or wet. Does a great job.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

what's the best is ALWAYS a pissing contest.

my opinion thought. you can't go wrong with an exmark or toro. in my opinion they both provide about the same quality of cut. I can't speak much for the mulching because I don't mulch. only side discharge and bag as needed.

I personally own the toro grandstand. I chose it because that was the first year they came out so the vantage wasn't out yet. I chose it over wright because of the large platform for your feet.

in my neck of the woods toro and exmark are the cheapest price wise as well. and I don't think a wright is any better than a toro or exmark. in fact I think they lack features over toro and exmark.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have run wright and scag.
We like scag
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The new Gravely Prostance is a great all around mower.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pick one that YOU like! We use Grandstands and lovem but that's us.