Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honda centrifugal clutch problem, need help....

Ok guys, got a weird one here.

I have a Honda GX160 with a 2:1 gear reduction wet clutch on my Bluebird BedBug Bed Edger and i noticed that when i engaged the clutch i see oil coming out of the fill cap (pin hole in the cap). Is it possible that this fill cap is from another machine or something? Never seen a pin hole in a filler cap and i'm wondering if this is right. I bought this machine used and just noticed it.

Anybody know anything about these gear reductions i would greatly appreciate it.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 02-12-2013, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Check your manual for the edger for oil level recommended. Just a stab in the dark but I'd guess it's over filled and expansion is causing the leak.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will, i saw on Honda's website that there should be a oil dip stick gauge threaded in the filler cap. Sort of an assembly, i know that mine doesn't have the dipstick gauge. There would be no reason for a hole in the filler cap, at the moment it looks like i'm just missing the gauge.

Anyone else have a hole in the filler cap?

IMPEACH OBAMA

Old 02-12-2013, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe the stick broke off also explaining the hole.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

After taking a look at the Honda clutch/reduction system, it appears as though the dipstick is a two piece unit. It would appear that the dipstick itself is threaded into the cap thereby permitting venting. Check the inside of the cap to check for threads--if it is, the dipstick portion may have dropped to the bottom of the unit. Just a thought--your mileage may vary.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well i figured this one out....

1st the fill cap was in deed missing the gauge however upon receipt of my new cap gauge assembly i noticed there is a breather in it. Weird, i know but it's meant to be there.

The reason why the oil was coming out of the top of the cap was the incompetent mechanic at:

Barry Doyle
Eddie Doyle
SE Equipment Plus
Actworth, Georgia

Over filled the damn reduction gear case and with the wrong oil. Filled almost to the top WTF, i sure wish these jerkoff's take a minute and pay attention to what their doing. Until i read through Honda's manual i didn't realized it took 10W-30 and only .5 litre of it. Had to be at least 1 - 1.25 litre's in it. I can see a little head but geez 2.5 times..... Idiots!

I've posted in an another thread about this company, please guys they sell online via eBay store ***BUYER BEWARE***, rude, incompetent, arrogant, and just plain lazy!!!!!

Oh well, for now problem fixed at my expense of course.

IMPEACH OBAMA